Magento Forum

New 1.5.1 install now or wait for 1.6.0? 

aquiss

Total Posts:  54
United Kingdom

I’m sure the question many have faced before, but we have put off the launch of a site due our awareness that 1.6.0 appears very close to launch.

We are coming back to Magento after 2 years away. We found the early versions to be slow (very slow), but a recent install of 1.5.1 has greatly impressed us, especially as it’s much faster. For reference we used the very same hardware we used 2 years back, with Magento CE operating easily 4x 5x times quicker.

I’m trying to judge how close 1.6.0 CE is the launch or is 1.5.1 CE reliable enough, solid solution?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

pss8

Total Posts:  12

deploying a shop with all needed extensions, check the import/export filter, optimize the design, setup a dev server and testing environment.... that all will take time.

every new magento version has its own bugs, major versions change great part of the code...extension supplier will have to update theres, theme design changes

I guess you have your answer now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

hard to say when 1.6 will be out the door. But generally I would’nt go near it until + 4 weeks after release. Just in case there are any new issues that arise. Ive seen patches have been released for stable versions in the past. So best to wait.

Speed wise, things are getting quicker, however it also depends on what type of hardware, which caching you use and how many products.

Perhaps it would be better to at least get the site up and running first, see what issues you have and then plan an upgrade after 1.6 is out.

brendan

Magento Community
Magento Community

tdenexter

Total Posts:  2

Hi All,

I’m just curious after reading this topic. I’m currently exploring Magento 1.5 and I do have some issues there as well.
How did you fix all the issues in 1.5 and are you already “ive” on 1.5. I’m currently working offline.

Tnx and regards,
Tjerco

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community