Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Extensive Magento Renovation - Computer Store (www.seawiser.com/home)

fivestar

Total Posts:  115

A painful path to custom Magento store, but well worth the effort. It took a few months to design/code, and yet I spent just as long to keep with up with Magento upgrades, which kept defeating my custom themes, now though, everything seem to be stable, the store has been live for a month, no problems encountered, thank you MG-team for all your “non-premium users get support too” support.

Store Link: http://www.seawiser.com/home/

Feedback is welcome.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RTellez06

Total Posts:  30

Wow, thats an amazing site. I wish I could hire you to do mine rasberry

Magento Community
Magento Community

kneemahp

Total Posts:  116

beautiful site. how did you get the tabs in the product descriptions?

Magento Community
Magento Community

fivestar

kneemahp - 05 January 2009 08:41 AM

beautiful site. how did you get the tabs in the product descriptions?

CSS/Java tabs. There are plenty you could find on the web, or make your own. Just stay from anything w/ jQuery.js files.

> I have the tabs script, now what?

In your template folder: default/your_template/catalog/product/view.phtml

[View.phtml] consists of <?php ?> tags that represent the products’ short_description, additional des., etc. Just wrap your tabs around these tags making sure your syntax is correct. You should have something like:

<div id="tabs-1"> /* tab #1 - initially hidden by CSS, display:none;” */
<?php something_to_do_with_product ?>
</div>

Then your actual link would be like such (let’s say you click on additional-info):

<a href="#" rel="tabs-1"> Additional Info </a>

I hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

superdak

Total Posts:  21

Very nice site.  I like how clean the layout is.  Job well done ! wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

theapokalypsis

Total Posts:  6

solid design.

glad to see some good css rollovers…

Magento Community
Magento Community

yentob

Total Posts:  49

Your top menu does not work in i.e. 6

Magento Community
Magento Community

fivestar

yentob - 24 January 2009 11:22 AM

Your top menu does not work in i.e. 6

True. IE6 is heavily bugged. Isn’t IE itself a bug? I’ll put a browser check on the site when I get time. Thanks for reminding me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Slick looks, clear presentation and fats page loads. This is what Magento is about. Taking a platform, making the most of it and customizing to the merchant’s specific needs (based on its visitors). Very nice tweaks. Deserves a highlight on the Magento blog. Also a perfect example for all those whingers who complain about speed.

Only change I’d make is to make the key navigational buttons stand out more. It’s now blue in a blue design. If it were say orange on blue, that checkout button would be far easier to find. A bit like illuminated walkways etc. it subconsciously guides the visitor.

One question… On the pages where with tickboxes you can add accessories like this:

# Add CAT5e LAN cable (25ft) +$9.00
# 2GB USB Flash drive (included)
# Add 500GB external storage +$99.00
# Add WirelessN home router +$79.00

When someone picks these, do they join the order as a separate item with separate SKU and separate means of shipping or does it become part of the computer?

Magento Community
Magento Community

fivestar

@ J.T:

I wanted to stick with white-ish text for my top nav-bar, which explains the dark background. I remember having tried a range of different colors for my nav, but only dark blue seemed to fit in. Since I don’t have a crowded main page, I would say the nav already stands out, don’t you think? The text could be made milkier though.

Now, the options you see under -customize product- are made up using -custom options-, including the accessories part that you’re refering to. The added items get included with the base system, and you can see them added in your cart under product name. As of Magento 1.8, custom options don’t feature attributes, for example, SKU, weight etc. Not that it bothers me because a flash drive, and/or router is only feather relative to the actual product weight.

I would personally want from Magento team to at least provide us with useful tools to mod custom options. It’s a pain in the butt to add 20 custom options to each product, and even painful to edit individual option-prices to reflect weekly/monthly changes. A one-page -spreadsheet like- interface could be very helpful for sellers.

Your comments are much appreciated, J.T.

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

I’d also like to be able to “save” a custom-options set so it can be “loaded” in one step to the next product. It’s a pain to make a drop-down with 34 options, as is applicable on my shop. I then duplicate the product so I don’t have to re-do them all but much nicer would be to “bookmark” a custom options set for quick loading.

Also, I’d like a text field input type with RegExp. My 34 option drop down is in fact just a number from 3 to 20 with half increments. It’d be nice if they could just type and the front-end matches their input against the RegExp I set.

By the way, I meant your buttons, not so much the navigation menu. As in “Checkout” etc. on the cart page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Blackthorne

Total Posts:  4

Pretty impressive work, Im also working on a custom PC website for Toronto used to be on OScommerce now transitioning to Magento. I like what you did but just a few pointers to get more people.

-SSL (IMPORTANT, customers want a sense of security), get Comodo instant SSL for the corner of trust logo, I got at least 50% increase in conversion.
-BBB Logo if you’re competing with the big guys you need to be as transparent as possible about your business practices.
-Have a budget for marketing it does wonders online Google etc. Setup an ebay store(to start up reduce profit margins as much as possible and gain feedback on ebay) You can advertise exclusive only products that are on ebay from your website. Makes the website look that much more legit.

I can tell you this business is pretty successful if your customers love your product, YOU WILL BE GETTING MORE FROM their reference. At my peak I was making $1800(profit) a week but I had to shut my business down for 2 years due to some family issues(personal) and now Im restarting again. The techsupport gets out of hand when you get big, make sure you get some sort of ticket system going.
Finally, 1 pointer for your website in general, the price update box that follows you is in an awkward position. you would want it to be on the right side and a smaller size.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fivestar

@ Blackthorne

I will defintely revisit your suggestions when I have time to get back on improving the site. I’m working on ebay marketing these days like you pointed out. And yes, tech support does get crazy- I tend to give time to my customers though.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fegizii

Total Posts:  160

Excellent design!

How did you get the “Select” in the catalogue view instead of “buy it now” and the"customize and buy” to work? Couldn’t find any info about that on the forums!

Magento Community
Magento Community

fivestar

RPM - filippo - 20 February 2009 04:26 PM

Excellent design!

How did you get the “Select” in the catalogue view instead of “buy it now” and the"customize and buy” to work? Couldn’t find any info about that on the forums!

Select button: changes required in product/catalog/list.phtml (replace the add-to-cart link with product-title link)
Customize button: custom scripting/CSS- changes required in product/catalog/view/phtml

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

fegizii

Total Posts:  160

fivestar - 21 February 2009 02:00 PM

RPM - filippo - 20 February 2009 04:26 PM
Excellent design!

Select button: changes required in product/catalog/list.phtml (replace the add-to-cart link with product-title link)
Customize button: custom scripting/CSS- changes required in product/catalog/view/phtml

Thanks

I followed your advice and it worked perfectly! Thank you for that!

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you manage to put the “customize product” under a new tab?
Is that done within magento architecture or does it use as external js as explained above?

thank you again

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2