Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Fantastic Upgrades - NOT! 

leeschill

Total Posts:  13

the upgrades for magento absolutely blow!  I can’t believe I’m so quick to upgrade all the time.  You only run into errors when you jump the gun.

could not extract the package.xml file from “/home/xxxxx/domains/xxxxxx.com/public_html/downloader/pearlib/download/Interface_Adminhtml_Default-1.1.5.tgz” Extracted file /home/xxxx/domains/xxxxx.com/public_html/downloader/pearlib/download/package.xml does not have the correct file size ‘57344’ (74865 expected). Archive may be corrupted.
Download of “magento-core/Interface_Adminhtml_Default” succeeded, but it is not a valid package archive
Error: cannot download “magento-core/Interface_Adminhtml_Default”
Install Errors
Download failed
PEAR ERROR: install failed

not i get kicked out of the admin section everytime i hit the save and continue button.  My images no longer are uploadable.  This is going to be a nightmare.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

markoshust

Total Posts:  129
Cleveland, OH

i too have run into a lot of permissions errors and other random errors.

make sure you chmod 777 and chown apache (or www-data depending on your server) the entire public_html folder

after getting everything to install correctly, the edit product page does not work for me. all i see are tabs on that page, and no right main section. i ran magento-core/Mage_All_Latest but that did not correct anything.

Image Attachments
mag-error.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

leeschill

Total Posts:  13

i can’t believe with all the errors and bugs in doing an upgrade theres no “Revert to previous install” or ‘downgrade to the most stable”

Edited to add: I think it has something to do with uploader.swf in the upgrade. It gives me an :
input/output error in Ws_FTP . I can’t even upload it?  Why???

pss… I can’t even log in with internet explorer 7 now. it gives me this error:

Fatal error: Exception thrown without a stack frame in Unknown on line 0

I’m so furious right now!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

That’s why you should always create a backup before you do an upgrade, so if something does go wrong, you can revert back. It’s an even better idea to have a staging area setup, so you can test the upgrade on there and if all goes well, upgrade on your production store.

It’s also a good idea to wait a couple days before upgrading so others can find bugs and problems and they can be fixed before you decide to make the plunge.

And a note to those who are in a hosting environment where PHP is running as an Apache module, use SSH to upgrade. Chowning all your files to apache/nobody or setting all the permissions to 777 isn’t the best way to do this.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/upgrading_magento_via_ssh

And if you do end up chowning all the files or setting the permissions, be sure to set them back to your username or reset the permissions:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/resetting_file_permissions

Also a good idea to delete the cache directories after an upgrade:

rm -rf downloader/pearlib/cache/* downloader/pearlib/download/* var/cache var/session

The important thing here is backups though, always, always, always create a backup.

Magento Community
Magento Community

btbc

Total Posts:  95

Bump for you and good luck.

But lucky you had backups and upgraded a test store… RIGHT?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cannonballdex

Total Posts:  65

I have to say I just got done this morning working out every last bug in 1.1.6 and everything is working perfectly. I like it that so many bugs are taken care of in the new update, but I think I will wait on the upgrade for now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Unirgy
Guru

Total Posts:  478

Just had a clean upgrade with no problems using MagentoConnect Manager web interface.

Permissions can be annoying, but I believe it’s out of Magento’s court.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

Total Posts:  340

well I’m mostly pleased with the upgrade - a lot of my issues have been resolved. all in all an essential upgrade..
that said there are some new issues now, and a bunch of issues are not fully resolved.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AzaharTiaras

Total Posts:  1

After upgrade I cannot upload ANY images to products.  There is just no option to activate, show or configure the uploaded images.  Anybody with same prob?

UPDATE : NOV 20, 2008 - after reading other posts and trying on Firefox PC, THE SOLUTION for me was installing Adobe Flash update.  This fixed the image issue.

Ricky
Magento on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid
Client - iMac24” OSX10.5.5 Firefox 3/Safari/Opera

Magento Community
Magento Community

Colin Mattson

Total Posts:  14

AzaharTiaras - 19 November 2008 08:33 PM

After upgrade I cannot upload ANY images to products.  There is just no option to activate, show or configure the uploaded images.  Anybody with same prob?

Count me in.

On a clone of my production system, the browse/upload buttons don’t appear, and no existing images are shown in the Images settings for my products. (But they still exist and are shown in the catalog.) I ended up pushing the update into production anyway because I need a bunch of the bugfixes in it… So now I either can’t add any new products until the update gets updated or I’ll have to add the images by hand using SQL queries.

On my test system, the browse/upload buttons display, but upload doesn’t do a darned thing, and no existing images are shown in the Images settings for my products.

And I really, really wonder what on earth possessed Varien to move from the tried-and-true image upload system to a Flash-based system (among the other new features introduced) in a point release. Bug fixes and new features don’t mix well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

castus

Total Posts:  64

The browse/upload button doesn’t work with flash player 10. This was an issue with 1.1.6 too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

maijar

Total Posts:  49

AzaharTiaras - 19 November 2008 08:33 PM

Same here. I do have images and those show well in frontend but backend there’s no images.

Image Attachments
screen_noimages117.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

FetchDesigns

Total Posts:  124
Chicago, IL

I too am not able to upload images anymore (on Mac OSX 10.5.5 with FireFox 3.0.4 and Safari 3.1.2).  I can browse for an image and it seems all is going well but when I click the “Upload Files” button nothing happens.  I tried uninstalling Flash 10 (which I hadn’t had a problem with in the past) and installed Flash 9 and still no luck.  HELP!

I was on 1.1.6 and just upgraded to 1.1.7 today.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vadimc

Total Posts:  87
London

I just upgraded via SSH with the pear command. Not a single problem - thank you very much magento smile

Before upgrading, i changed the owner to apache (i run on Centos5) and all went smoothly

FetchDesigns - 20 November 2008 12:10 AM

I too am not able to upload images anymore (on Mac OSX 10.5.5 with FireFox 3.0.4 and Safari 3.1.2).  I can browse for an image and it seems all is going well but when I click the “Upload Files” button nothing happens.  I tried uninstalling Flash 10 (which I hadn’t had a problem with in the past) and installed Flash 9 and still no luck.  HELP!

I believe you may like to try a different browser. upto now, i was able to upload images only with IE. firefox and opera didnt get the popup like what you describe.
With the 1.1.7 its all different - Ie8 beta doesnt want to work anymore, but firefox and opera do smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

JSTRAT

Total Posts:  16

FetchDesigns - 20 November 2008 12:10 AM

Pretty much the same for me here as well. The upgrade failed through the web interface but went through without issue on the command line. However I am unable to upload images from a Mac (10.5.5) through Safari 3.2, Firefox 3 or Firefox 2. But it does work from a Centos 5 box running Firefox and Flash10. This is very disappointing, for such an obviously crucial function to be broken for an entire OS is worrying.

Is there a public beta of these releases before they are announced as stable?!

Wouldn’t be so bad, but I have to justify the as a platform choice and when every upgrade breaks something my job gets harder every time. Is it not about time that one of these releases had no new features and just concentrated on fixing bugs?

A bad morning so far, apologies for the ragging on Magento. I do like it really, just wish it didn’t bite every time you try and upgrade it!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sensi

Total Posts:  103
Paris, France

No problem with image upload here (i.e. Windows / firefox 3.0.4 / flash 9.0 r124), nor I had leeschill & markoshust’s errors.
So far the only new error I encountered is the “Notify Low Stock RSS” link -within Manage Products- giving me a 404 error.

@ leeschill

If you can still access downloader you may want to retry installing Interface_Adminhtml_Default.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2