Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Products (and attributes) won’t save

kharisma

Total Posts:  67
Australia

I am having problems just creating and saving even the first attribute or product. I enter some basic values, then click on the Save button, and then the little orange wheel just sits there whirling around for ages and never actually saving. Have tried this several times with really basic values, and never ever saves. Have tried a couple of different browsers.

Also, when I changed the shipping country and clicked save, same thing - won’t finish the process.

Other things do save just fine. Have been able to add stores, change other attributes, create landing pages, etc. But cannot add products or attributes.

How can I fix this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

The only time I’ve experienced the “orange wheel” spinning and never updating is when I added the time output as part of the index.php.  Something like this:

$end microtime(1);
echo 
"time = "sprintf('%0.3f', ($end-$start));

What that does is echo the time it takes to run the app, but it messes up the “Ajax” calls, which is what is happening with the orange wheel.

Did you modify any of the code?
Do you see any javascript errors? (perhaps in firefox with the “error console” open?)

Magento Community
Magento Community

kharisma

Australia

Nope.

I’ve just been using the basic install just adding a couple of stores and putting in some data and pages and so on.

(Of course, I have edited index.php to run the stores (as shown in the knowledge base))

No javascript errors that I have noticed.

The wheel is only there for some actions, but always the same ones.

????

Magento Community
Magento Community

kharisma

Australia

Tried running it with the Error Console. Once I hit Enter nothing further changes in the Error Console.

Why is the spinning wheel coming on for saving attributes and products, when it doesn’t seem to be triggered for saving CMS pages and blocks, or catalogs, for that matter?

Considering this happens straight out of the box, with no mods at all, I cannot understand it.

Is there some kind of setting with the web host that could affect Ajax?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kharisma

Australia

Have now run the store on several browsers:

Firefox, Safari and Opera on the Mac
Firefox and IE on Windows.

Same deal in each browser.

So I think the problem may lie with the web host config (?)

Am setting up an account with Helping Hand to see how it goes there. At least they may have support for such issues, whereas the current web host does not provide support for third party software.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kharisma

Australia

Just found an earlier installation of Magento - 0.6.1410 which will happily save attributes and products. Something changed in the late releases, but what?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

Kharisma - 09 January 2008 03:55 AM

Why is the spinning wheel coming on for saving attributes and products, when it doesn’t seem to be triggered for saving CMS pages and blocks, or catalogs, for that matter?

The CMS pages are too simple, all the form elements are on one page with no tabs on the left.

Any form with tabs on the left needs to Ajax in the data and make sure there are no errors because reloading that page would not be easy to keep the user’s submitted values in the form fields that are on other tabs.

(this is all just a guess, I don’t work for varien/magento).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community