Magento Forum

Switching from Community to Professional

ScottG

Total Posts:  45

We are planning on launching a new site using the Professional edition in a few months.

Right now I have developers working with the free community edition to get the template and graphics layout the way we need.
So far the work is only with the templates / themes / html / css etc, I have requested no modifications to any code or files which may be lost during a Magento upgrade, this is important to us.

My first question is will all their work be compatible with the upgrade to the Professional edition and are there any special development considerations required for the Professional edition.
IE: Should I purchase the Pro edition now and get them developing on that? I don’t mind spending the extra $250 per month if there is good reason but if the development on the community edition will be compatible it’s a bit of a waste.

I will also need a few plugins and I have noted that most plugins are for either the community or enterprise versions, which of these would apply to the professional version?

Regards
Scott

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

happyshop

Total Posts:  9

Pretty much anything that works with community will work with professional

Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  813
Cleveland

Make sure they are developing in CE v1.5 (or v1.6 beta release). As happyshop said, most extensions from CE edition will work with the PE edition (I said some, not all) unless the developer didn’t really follow best practices or they coded it for specific version control.

While it is probably wise to develop the site in PE, I think your okay developing in CE. Give a month buffer from your golive date for migrating to PE. While it probably will only take a day or two to migrate. The rest of the time would be for testing, soft launch and time to debug if something did go wrong.

Hopefully you are using version control!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ScottG

Thanks for all this information.

And that’s a good idea to give a month buffer on the update too, I will do that for sure, makes good sense.

Cheers.
Scott

Magento Community
Magento Community

ScottG

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community