Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Quick Search returns more products than expected in Magento 1.5.1.0

dandrikop

Total Posts:  4

I have installed a fresh Magento 1.5.1.0 store (not from upgrade). I have set Search Type=FullText in Catalog Search configuration. I also have set Use in Quick Search=Yes only for the attribute name. However when I search for a product using Quick Search, I get every product listing whose title (i.e. name) contains any of the words I put in the text field of Quick Search.

I also reindexed data and refreshed the cache from the administration GUI. I also cleared cache manually by removing the files under /var/cache but the problem persists.

I use the default themes that come with Magento package. The problem occurs with any theme. In my opinion, the Quick Search seams to return any product listing that contains any of the words in its title (name attribute) specified in the search string.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dandrikop

Total Posts:  4

It seems that nobody has found a solution to this. The Search functionality is a crucial issue in a store. A search engine that returns a huge amount of irrelevant products is as awful as a search engine that returns nothing.

I don’t know if the problem is solved with v1.6.0.0. I don’t blame anyone; after all Magento is free…

Magento Community
Magento Community

furnitureforyoultd
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  833

I think that Full Text search is far too broad. try using the “Like” search instead, you may also need to change a line: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/213559/

Magento Community
Magento Community

webmasterkhan1

Total Posts:  2

Want to share my researching part for Version-1.7.0.2.
By default, magento searches lots of product by joining words or single word. Say if i want to search by “samsung young”, magento will displays product holding the word samsung as well as young. But my main target is the only products containing “samsung young”.

1. go to the following link:- /public_html/app/code/core/Mage/CatalogSearch/Model/Resource/Fulltext.php
2. search by    $likeCond = ‘(’ . join(’ OR ‘, $like) . ‘)’;
3. replace OR by AND
4. system --> configuration --> catalog --> catalog --> catalog search --> search type (like)
5. You done.

Regards,
Noor

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community