Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Calculating shipping for more than one product

noticethis

Total Posts:  44

Hi all,

I’m about to introduce a new size of my product but not sure how shipping will work!

I sell pinboards so they are quite a large item to send but weigh not much at all, so i am introducing a bigger size yet i’m not sure how to work this in with my shipping costs.

I originally thought by weight, but the weight of 2 smaller is the same as one big but because of dimensions there is about $5 price difference.

Any ideas how i can do this?

Thanks,
Amy

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

Hi Amy.
How do you plan to ship these products?
Really,your choice of shipping company will determine how you price the shipping.

EG: some shipping companies will price on size as well as weight (cubic weight), and/or they might have a maximum height/width.

So a little more info will help us to help you…

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

noticethis

I am shipping with Australia Post. I do it by click and send with tracking. They go on cubic weight so it depends on the size or weight which ever is bigger, so it goes by dimensions as weight is pretty light.

So at the moment i am using maxirate extension and by how many items are bought but when i add the 2nd size i can’t do that because of the different dimensions.

Is that enough info?

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

Hi again Amy,

OK, I don’t think there is an ‘out of the box’ solution for your situation at the moment.
So, I would suggest you either come up with a flat rate for multiples of the product, and average out the costs to cover your expenses.
But if you want to pursue a more definitive solution, you could look at this product:
http://www.webshopapps.com/shipping-extensions/product-related/productmatrix-shipping-extension.html
and then email Karen (author) and ask about adding the cubic weight functionality.
I’m guessing that it is possible, because she has that code in other extensions (and she’s very helpful and creative when it comes to her code!)

This is an issue that others are concerned about and Karen and I have been talking about adding it into an Aust. Post module for Magento.

Hope that helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

noticethis

Thanks very much Neil.

Much appreciated!

It’s great to be able to get some support when needed!

Amy

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

No problem Amy smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community