Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Serious question, why do configureable products not use the price of the underlying simple product? 

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

It seems that configurable products do not use the price of the simple product. I am just wondering how this made sense when implementing configurable products? Is there plans to make it use the price of the simple product (and maybe even change the picture) in the future?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

There’s a whole thread on this and an extension for changing how the price is calculated for configurables.
But I just want to make it clear that you have to think of these things in a flexible way. For people that want to use their simple products to represent an attribute like size, it makes sense that there is no price attached since you can reuse that simple product for many configurable products.  It might not make much sense if you think of your simple products as the actual thing for sale and the configurable product is just a shell to get a simple product chosen.

The way it is coded right now (price is not coming from simple product) works very well for me because I have configurable shoes that have an attribute of size and width which are represented by simple products. My simple products have no other data than size and width, so price makes no sense for them.  I don’t track inventory so this works for me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sander

Total Posts:  232
Netherlands

Hmm, if you don’t track inventory then you might as well use custom options right? (There’s an extension to let you have default custom option sets like “size/colour” to easily assign those to all products I believe).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community