Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product Description Character Limit Issues

spacechimpmedia

Total Posts:  3
Austin, TX

I am having product descriptions getting cut short. Are there character limits set for attributes like product description? If so where can I adjust the character limit? If character limit is not the issue has anyone else had this problem and figured out a solution?

Example product:
http://greatrug.com/magento/lmoinlmi-4mti

Product Description:
What happens when you blend a bit of nostalgia with a bit of today? You get a collection unlike any other...’Lil Mo Classic. Trains, whimsical bugs and a damask with a twist make this collection a must have. Hand-hooked of pure cotton, ‘Lil Mo Classic feat

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

romych

Total Posts:  60
Germany

Hi

looks like some happens with PHP code which formatting product description, may be wrong encoding symbols etc.
Try to set full description with some English simple words - make it very long and check how will shows this description on the frontend.

BTW - Magento don’t limit Full description length.

I hope it gives some direction for you,

Roman

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kentropolis

Total Posts:  15

Yes, Magento DOES limit Description length.

282 Characters

I’m running version 1.7.x and having no luck finding a solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

satish
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  812
34,mantri Sadan,Shivaji Nagar,Nagpur,MS,India 4400

Magento 1.7.2. Table `catalog_product_entity_text` explained Column 1.`value_id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT Column 2.`entity_type_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL Column 3.`attribute_id` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL Column 4.`store_id` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL Column 5.`entity_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL Column 6.`value` text

Above is the explanation of table that stores product description.

Column 6.`value` text indicates its a text field so you can have lot of data stored in that table.

As recommended in some above post it might be some special characters.

So try first with english and having lots of data in description if this goes ok then explore further.

Satish

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kentropolis

Thanks, I will look at the database and see what I find.  I already changed \"description\" in Catalog_Flat_1 (and 2 and 3) to MEDIUMTEXT to no avail, but had no idea where else to look.

BTW, it\’s not a special character issue.  I\’m copying the following from Notepad:

For the first time in over 50 years, Nokona is offering a youth glove.  Designed for the most serious travel and club players, these gloves are on par with the highest quality gloves Nokona has ever produced.  This style is made with premium quality, select American Range Bison from ranches in South Dakota.  Buffalo leather provides the best of both worlds, creating a glove that is both soft and sturdy.  For players looking for a fast break-in, Nokona has combined Buffalo with Nokona\’s Buckskin leather.  This combination produces a robust yet supple glove.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kentropolis

WOW, this makes no sense, but when I get rid of the sentence

This style is made with premium quality, select American Range Bison from ranches in South Dakota.

it works fine.  I can make the description as long as I want from there, so long as I don’t have that phrase.

And it’s not special characters, because I even retyped the whole thing from scratch in Notepad.

Therefore, it’s NOT character limit.

But the question remains: WTH??????

UPDATE: It’s the word “select” ... if I get rid of just that word, it works.  I can add it to a different sentence, and sometimes it works.  Haven’t figured out the exact pattern, but could it be that “select” is in the command syntax of either mySQL or how the cart processes it?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community