Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Moderate theme: vertical menu not showing up (SOLVED)

AnneLise

Total Posts:  154
Bergen, Norway

Downloaded and implemented the theme.  Everything works fine but the vertival menu part.

So far I uploaded the left_nav.phtml to the navigation folder, and I followed the “Install on every page (excluding the Product Page)” instructions so the catalog.xml looks like this:
<default>
<!-- Mage_Catalog -->
<reference name="top.menu">
<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.topnav" template="catalog/navigation/top.phtml"/>
</reference>
<reference name="left">
<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.navigation" before="_" template="catalog/navigation/left_nav.phtml"/>
</reference>

<reference name="left">

The bottom line marked with purple was there before the editing, I guess it’s still supposed to be there as the page crashes if I remove it.

(picture attached)

Any ideas why this is happening?
Besides from this, the theme is really recommended!  Love the design, and the instructions are easy to follow.

Image Attachments
moderate_theme.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

AnneLise

Bergen, Norway

But for some STRANGE reason - the vertical menu shows up when I click on one of the categories in the horizonal menu?

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnneLise

Bergen, Norway

I don’t know if it matters - but the language of my store is changed from english to norwegian.

Come on - anyone?

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnneLise

Bergen, Norway

SOLVED!

If anyone else has the same problem:
You need to change the layout in the CMS section.  Homepage, custom design, needs to be 2 coulmns w/left bar.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Total Posts:  261
Long Beach, CA

Hi laqua, sorry I couldn’t get to your question. My internet and power is sketchy here in the Los Angeles area. Feel free to email me if you have additional questions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gaorongqin

Total Posts:  2

Hi, Vutha,
i have the same problem in left nav, when i selected “moderate theme” and “ 2 columns with left bar” layouts in CMS->Homepage->Custom Design , i got below warning msg at homepage, seems the homepage call default theme but not “moderate” theme? Kindly help me out, thanks.

find details there: www.custom-wedding-gown.com

Warning: Mage_Core_Block_Template::include(/home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/catalog/navigation/ left_nav.phtml) [mage-core-block-template.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 144
Trace:
#0 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(144): mageCoreErrorHandler(2, ‘Mage_Core_Block...’, ‘/home/artsmile/...’, 144, Array)
#1 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(144): Mage_Core_Block_Template::fetchView()
#2 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(176): Mage_Core_Block_Template->fetchView(’frontend/defaul...’)
#3 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(193): Mage_Core_Block_Template->renderView()
#4 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php(643): Mage_Core_Block_Template->_toHtml()
#5 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Text/List.php(43): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->toHtml()
#6 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php(643): Mage_Core_Block_Text_List->_toHtml()
#7 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php(503): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->toHtml()
#8 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php(454): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->_getChildHtml(’left’, true)
#9 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/page/2columns-left.phtml(52): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->getChildHtml(’left’)
#10 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(144): include(’/home/artsmile/...’)
#11 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(176): Mage_Core_Block_Template->fetchView(’frontend/defaul...’)
#12 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(193): Mage_Core_Block_Template->renderView()
#13 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php(643): Mage_Core_Block_Template->_toHtml()
#14 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(515): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->toHtml()
#15 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(326): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->getOutput()
#16 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Cms/Helper/Page.php(92): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->renderLayout()
#17 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Cms/controllers/IndexController.php(32): Mage_Cms_Helper_Page->renderPage(Object(Mage_Cms_IndexController), ‘home’)
#18 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(349): Mage_Cms_IndexController->indexAction()
#19 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(163): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch(’index’)
#20 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(174): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#21 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/app/Mage.php(447): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
#22 /home/artsmile/public_html/cwg2/index.php(52): Mage::run()
#23 {main}

Magento Community
Magento Community

jeannieK

Total Posts:  15

laqua - 17 November 2008 12:50 AM

Downloaded and implemented the theme.  Everything works fine but the vertival menu part.

So far I uploaded the left_nav.phtml to the navigation folder, and I followed the “Install on every page (excluding the Product Page)” instructions so the catalog.xml looks like this:
<default>
<!-- Mage_Catalog -->
<reference name="top.menu">
<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.topnav" template="catalog/navigation/top.phtml"/>
</reference>
<reference name="left">
<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.navigation" before="_" template="catalog/navigation/left_nav.phtml"/>
</reference>

<reference name="left">

The bottom line marked with purple was there before the editing, I guess it’s still supposed to be there as the page crashes if I remove it.

(picture attached)

Any ideas why this is happening?
Besides from this, the theme is really recommended!  Love the design, and the instructions are easy to follow.

Same problem!  i did change the layout in the CMS section.  Homepage, custom design, needs to be 2 coulmns w/left bar
But having same problem..
Hope Vutha or someone could post detail how to fix this problem...thx

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnneLise

Bergen, Norway

If anyone else has this same issue, it’s probably because you copy/pasted the code from the PDF instructions directly into Magento.
The problem with this is that there are som hidden “spaces” that Acrobat creates on its own.

If you copy/paste this code from the PDF instructions:
<reference name="left">
<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.navigation" before="_" template=”catalog/navigation/
left_nav.phtml"/>

</reference>

you’ll see that the part I colored red is split in two.  So Magento won’t get the full path.  Be sure to remove the unwanted space here so it looks like

<reference name="left">
</reference>

-Lise

Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Long Beach, CA

Thanks laqua! I couldn’t have said it any better. Please email me and I will provide new instructions with the unnecessary spaces stripped. I apologize for the headache.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tim.rycroft

Total Posts:  16

Hi,

I’ve implemented the vertical menu system as above, however I would like a more unified look on my website, with the categories displayed on every page of the website. Does anyone know if this is possible? I guess you can edit the CMS pages, however I don’t know what the product and shopping cart pages names are to make this happen? Unless someone knows how to do this another way?

Thanks

Tim

Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Long Beach, CA

Hi Tim,

To have the vertical categories show on every page, you’ll need to edit the Catalog.xml file located in app/design/frontend/default/moderate/layout folder.

Look for this code (should be the first pieces of code you see):

<!--
layoutloads most of the pages
-->

<default>

<!-- 
Mage_Catalog -->
        <
reference name="top.menu">
            <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.topnav" template="catalog/navigation/top.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="right">
            <
block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="footer_links">
            <
action method="addLink" translate="label title" module="catalog" ifconfig="catalog/seo/site_map"><label>Site Map</label><url helper="catalog/map/getCategoryUrl" /><title>Site Map</title></action>
        </
reference>

</default>

<!--
Category default layout
-->

right above the <reference ="footer_links"> tag you’ll need to paste this code:

<reference name="left">
        <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.navigation" before="_" template="catalog/navigation/left_nav.phtml"/>
        </
reference>

So the end result will look like this:

<!--
layoutloads most of the pages
-->

<default>

<!-- 
Mage_Catalog -->
        <
reference name="top.menu">
            <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.topnav" template="catalog/navigation/top.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="right">
            <
block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="left">
        <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.navigation" before="_" template="catalog/navigation/left_nav.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="footer_links">
            <
action method="addLink" translate="label title" module="catalog" ifconfig="catalog/seo/site_map"><label>Site Map</label><url helper="catalog/map/getCategoryUrl" /><title>Site Map</title></action>
        </
reference>

</default>

<!--
Category default layout
-->

Hope this makes sense, PM me or email me if you have any questions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Long Beach, CA

Oh and remember, this will make the vertical navigation show on everypage IF the left column is present. For pages like the Checkout page and Product page, the categories wont show unless you set those pages to show the left column. Let me know if you need more details on this.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community