Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Return Management System (possible implementation described)

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

I am in the process of converting a shop to Magento. I just realized that Magento has no return management system. Yes, refunds can be made, but that not is exactly a return management system. And, since refunds / replacements sometimes happen weeks after the customer requests it (as we are waiting for return merchandise), there definitely needs to be a system to handle it all.

Implementation

I recommend a system where when the customer calls up and requests a return / replacement then the store owner creates a “return request”. The return request will have the relevant products from the order and whether they need to be returned or replaced. Furthermore, each product / replacement will have the refund amount and fee information (restocking fee, replacement fee, shipping fee, etc). Then, the customer is given an RMA number which is a unique identifier.

Once the merchandise comes in it then the products in the “return request” can be marked as “received”. Once a refund has been issued, then that product status can be replaced with “refunded”. If it is a replacement, then it will be changed to “replaced”. Once all products have been dealt with then the “return request” status is changed to “completed”

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Compuland
Guru

Total Posts:  374
Denmark

ShopGuy - 16 November 2008 01:00 AM

I am in the process of converting a shop to Magento. I just realized that Magento has no return management system. Yes, refunds can be made, but that not is exactly a return management system. And, since refunds / replacements sometimes happen weeks after the customer requests it (as we are waiting for return merchandise), there definitely needs to be a system to handle it all.

Implementation

I recommend a system where when the customer calls up and requests a return / replacement then the store owner creates a “return request”. The return request will have the relevant products from the order and whether they need to be returned or replaced. Furthermore, each product / replacement will have the refund amount and fee information (restocking fee, replacement fee, shipping fee, etc). Then, the customer is given an RMA number which is a unique identifier.

Once the merchandise comes in it then the products in the “return request” can be marked as “received”. Once a refund has been issued, then that product status can be replaced with “refunded”. If it is a replacement, then it will be changed to “replaced”. Once all products have been dealt with then the “return request” status is changed to “completed”

I second that, we realy need a RMA system

Magento Community
Magento Community

walltoolsllc

Total Posts:  146

Bump!  We do need an RMA system.  Where do we log a RMA number?  I can see that we can issue a Credit Memo, but that doesn’t really help until we have received goods.  There is now Return Merchandise system in place as far as I can tell?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

The only modification I would suggest is skipping the calling up the store owner part. That wastes valuable resources. Instead, let them request a return direction from their order history. Then allow the store owner to modify, approve, or deny the return based on the store’s return policy. Once approved the customer would be notified with return instructions and an RMA number.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ANDY-UK

Total Posts:  29

I could also really do with an RMA system like this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

LostDocs7

Total Posts:  31

aheadWorks released new RMA extension: http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/aheadWorks/extension/5262/rma

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Hi there, you may also consider this module: http://amasty.com/magento-rma.html. The extension offers a great variety of RMA options, making RMA process as easy as it can be:

- Easy RMA request management
- All product types support
- Guest RMA option
- RMA requests per item
- Unlimited custom statuses

Please take a look at the screenshots below to get a proper idea of the extension’s functionality:

Image Attachments
rma-general-settings.pngrma-create-reasons.pngrma-grouped-products-small.pngrma-request-management.png

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community