Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Import doesn’t update titles or descriptions… everything else updates

hearsay

Total Posts:  72

I’m having a problem updating my product database. When I import the .csv using the profile “Import All Products” with ‘admin’ as the value of each product’s ‘store’ field, I get no errors on the import, but nothing in the database updates.

When I import the .csv using the profile “Import All Products” with ‘default’ as the value of each product’s ‘store’ field, again I get no errors, and this time everything updates except for the title and descriptions (short and long), which strangely seem to PARTIALLY update in the database. By partially, I mean the new title and descriptions are reflected on the front end of the website, and under Sales->Orders when adding products to an order from the backend. The old title and descriptions show up under Catalog->Manage Products.

I ran this sql query, and the results might help someone else understand what’s going on here:
SELECT * FROM `catalog_product_entity_varchar` WHERE `entity_id` =1;

+----------+----------------+--------------+----------+-----------+----------------------------------+
value_id entity_type_id attribute_id store_id entity_id value                            |
+----------+----------------+--------------+----------+-----------+----------------------------------+
|        
|              |           55 |        |         Anna (Tennessee)                 | 
|        
|              |           81 |        |         anna-tennessee-ut-orange-0       
|        
|              |          437 |        |         2                                
|        
|              |           69 |        |         no_selection                     
|        
|              |           70 |        |         no_selection                     
|        
|              |           71 |        |         no_selection                     
|       
10 |              |           90 |        |         container2                       
|       
11 |              |           82 |        |         anna-tennessee-ut-orange-0.php   
|     
1386 |              |           66 |        |         |                                  | 
|     
1387 |              |           68 |        |         |                                  | 
|     
2385 |              |           91 |        |         |                                  | 
|    
13444 |              |          451 |        |         75                               
|    
26265 |              |           55 |        |         Anna (Tennessee) - UT Orange 
13 rows in set (0.00 sec)

You can see that the new title, Anna (Tennessee) - UT Orange - 0, has the same entity_type_id, attribute_id, and entity_id as the old title, Anna (Tennessee), except that it thinks it’s part of store_id 1. I changed all the values where store_id=1 to store_id=0, and it showed the most recently updated titles where it didn’t before, but it cause the backend to break under certain circumstances, so I restored a backup of the db.

Can anyone at least shed some light on this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Can you post your csv file? (at least, the lines for this product).

Magento Community
Magento Community

lilicrashes

Total Posts:  30

I had the same thing with customers. I am not sure why, but I tried downloading OpenOffice and used that to save a fresh file and then it suddenly worked fine. I had previously opened and saved the csv in excel. Excel formatting screws up the import.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

@lilicrashes

I’m not sure if the editor that you can choose has any relation with the MAgento problems.
If you compare the two files, did you compare the two files?. Do you found some difference?

--
Damián

Magento Community
Magento Community

moleygunn

Total Posts:  73

Does anyone have an SQL command that will remove references to the old product info?

Magento Community
Magento Community

hydra
Guru

Total Posts:  378
Amsterdam

lilicrashes - 15 November 2008 09:12 PM

I had the same thing with customers. I am not sure why, but I tried downloading OpenOffice and used that to save a fresh file and then it suddenly worked fine. I had previously opened and saved the csv in excel. Excel formatting screws up the import.

I experiencing the same. All imports screwed up with MS Excel. Changed to OpenOffice SCalc and voilá, no more import problems.
Also importing xml instead of csv works for me now.

Ronald.

Magento Community
Magento Community

aloeroot

Total Posts:  18

I’m experiencing this issue too. Ronald, did you simply export your catalog as usual, open, edit and save it with Calc instead of Excel, and reimport?

Magento Community
Magento Community

fruitbat

Total Posts:  22

I think I’ve solved your problem. Please see this thread regarding a similar issue:
Editing Product information not reflected on site.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community