Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

New to Magento - Need Suggestions

ndshetty

Total Posts:  2

Hi All,

I am new to Magento or even new to website building. I am from IT field manage the Web development team. I want to build an online store using magento. Went through other carting software and magento seems to be best fit for our requirement.

As i am very new i thought i would buy a Magento template and using that customise the template according to our use. I already have web hosting account and they have cPanel and support magento as carting. Really not sure whether that is a right direction.

Need suggestion on how i should proceed.  If it is impossible for me to do it then also looking for a quote on simple magento website.

Cheers,

Nikitha

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

Hi Nikitha,
Welcome to the brilliant/frustrating world of Magento!  wink

Just one observation/comment: While your current host may ‘support’ Magento (ie: that usually means they provide the the required php modules, etc), it is quite likely that they do not provide an optimised environment to run a store.
Magento is demanding on server resources, and rarely runs well without some server optimising. This especially true if you have a shared hosting account. Search these forums for many threads on this.

So before you put lots of effort in to do all the other stuff, make sure your hosting can handle it.

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

ndshetty

Total Posts:  2

Hi Neil,

Thanks for suggestion smile. I have got shared host will check with them whether they have hosted any site with magento cart.
Do you recommend me to look into other carting software which is much simpler compare to this?

Cheers,
Nikitha

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

Well, shared hosting is most unlikely to cope with Magento well, so I guess you need to think about what you want the store to do for you.

For most of us, setting up and running an online store is a significant investment of and energy. So I’m not going to let a small issue like proper hosting get in the way. It took me two years with Magento and numerous hosts before realising the wisdom of that and going with a dedicated server. I haven’t looked back.

While you may be strapped for cash now, consider the longer terms costs of moving hosts and potentially losing some of the hours of work you’ve put into the store.

So, it sounds like you’ve worked out that Magento is the right platform for you. If that is the case, make sure you don’t throttle the software by being stingy with your hosting…

Hope that makes sense

Magento Community
Magento Community

MDG-IT

Total Posts:  31
Melbourne, Australia

While I admit I’m biased, I think the above can benefit from further comment.

It obviously has its limitations, and once a store is doing the business to justify it then VPS / dedicated servers are preferable. Nevertheless, shared hosting can cope with Magento remarkably well. It really comes down to processor speed, server load, and IO load. You can take a cheap and nasty Jumba VPS with 64k writes going as low as 2MB / s, or a crucial VPS with heavily subscribed nodes and frequent CPU contention issues, and they’re both going to run slower than well managed shared hosting.

Likewise, a US dedicated server without APC, with any of a long list of misconfigurations that hosts tend to inflict on their customers, is going to be considerably slower than Aussie shared hosting set up specifically for a particular platform.

Hosting choice is clearly very important, but it’s more about finding a host who actually cares in the first place that a store that should load within a second is taking 3s, and who’s prepared to actually look at what’s going on rather than giving canned responses.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Template fans
Guru

Total Posts:  446

What’s your requirement about your site?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community