Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Different prices for different groups? (wholesale prices, etc.)

jonw101

Total Posts:  73

Can Magento have different prices or different groups?

For example, If i have a customer who can see the same prices as everyone else and i put them in a group of Wholesalers, then they see all wholesale prices.  Can this be done? I saw that you can make promos for certain groups and give say 20% off but would it be possible to display completely different prices per item, rather than just a percentage off?

Also, i would imagine you can have custom fields like say someone wants their name engraved, etc. i can put an option for them to type a message or something like that, right?

Thanks!
Jon

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ptnplanet

Total Posts:  45

I’Ve got the same issue here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

frank_abb

Total Posts:  6

same here, does Magento have a wholesale section??

Magento Community
Magento Community

kmeirlaen

Total Posts:  11

@fifthave: you could always customize the price display…

Magento Community
Magento Community

xoail

Total Posts:  12

I think you can have a multi store architecture inside magento and share product inventory between the stores. One store for normal users and the other for wholesalers. Something like yourstore.com/wholesale. The wholesale store can by default have different product pricing and attributes.

Can anybody from magento confirm it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sebastian G
Guru

Total Posts:  336

Currently can be done not with 2 stores but 2 websites and price scope needs to be website smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

xoail

Total Posts:  12

Thanks Tomas,

Is there an article/tutorial somewhere on how to do this?

I will try this and write one if there isnt any.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sebastian G
Guru

Total Posts:  336

Hi xoail, i think no specifically for multiple websites speaking… On the user guide there are steps to add websites (Chapter 2) but does not speak about wholesale and retail pricing.
However it should be very simple since you will share the same products and settings but only edit their price based to the website level.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptnplanet

Although using two websites lets us handle wholesale-pricing, we do not think it is the best way of solving the problem. Atm we have a two-website structure. One website displays pricing and shipping including tax, the other displays pricing and shipping without tax. The biggest problem is, that setting up new products requires us to have all products duplicated and edited in order to have a different price displayed on our wholesale-website.

I hope you understand, what I mean. Example: A product price will be displayed for normal customers, who have access to our normal-customer-website including tax. Because we sell our products to wholesale customers at different prices, we have to duplicate every single product into our wholesale-website and then give it a different price.

Let’s have this example filled with numbers:
ProductA will be priced at 10€ (without tax) for regular customers. Including the German tax-rate (19%) the price is 11,90€ which will be displayed as such for the regular customer on the regular-customer-website.
The same ProductA will be priced at 8€ (without tax) for wholesale customers. Including the German tax-rate the price is 9,52€. But instead, the wholesale customers gets 8€ displayed (the tax will only be displayed in his shopping-card and while checking out).

How we work this atm: We start off creating a simple product, pricing it at 10€ and putting it in the default category and relevant child-categories. We enable the product only for our regular-customer-website. Then we duplicate the product and edit the duplicated one by changing the price and enabling it only for the wholesale-website. Problem is, that both websites handle catalog prices different (one with, one without tax). This is a very time-consuming work-around.

The easiest and smartest sollution would be to have a second field for a wholesale-pricing in the edit-product menu. And the best thing to happen would be a possibility to display pricing including tax or without tax, depending on which group the logged-in customer belongs to.

Cheers, keep up the good work!

Magento Community
Magento Community

inyerface

Total Posts:  31

Tier Pricing works well with the Customer Groups.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptnplanet

Tier pricing is a second possibility, which we already tried. But it shows the “x and above"-caption next to the price. And it does not solve different catalog price handling for different customer groups.

Magento Community
Magento Community

anakoda

Total Posts:  8

Hey Guys,

we had the same problem and solved it this way:

We now have 2 different Websites set up: Wholesale Store AND Private Customer Store
We set the price scope (Gültigkeitsbereich) at System > Configuration > Catalog > Price to “Website”.

Now you can have 1 product with different prices for different websites.
You only have to make sure, that the customer is in the right store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptnplanet

Thank you very much for this tip. I had already tried changing the price attribute’s scope, but this can’t be done.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nexus Rex

Total Posts:  139
Utah, USA

ALTERNATE SOLUTION WITH CUSTOMER GROUPS AND CATALOG PRICE RULES

I have written a blog post that walks you through how to do exactly what many of you describe via Customer Groups and Catalog Price Rules:

How to Setup Simple Customer Specific Discount Pricing in Magento Commerce

The blog post details how to discount all products by a fixed percent, but I also have another solution where you could add a custom Product Attribute to your products called “Product Group” or something similar. Then categorize your products into multiple Product Groups, where each group would receive a different discount percentage.

I have used this method before and it works great. Contact me if you need help setting it up or would like to see an example.

keywords: custom, customer, dealer, magento, online, price, pricing, promotion, catalog, rule, store, wholesale

Magento Community
Magento Community

jordy

Total Posts:  8

Very helpful Nexus Rex, thank you!

Magento Community
Magento Community

jwpadgett

Total Posts:  69

While managing two stores is a workaround for this issue, it’s not feasible for those with a large number of products.

Looking at the the database, it seems that the foundations are there for this functionality, probably intended for Enterprise. In the ‘catalogindex_price’ table you’ll see ‘price’ attribute entries for each group id for every sku. These entries show up as ‘display_price_group_(grpID)’ ‘fields in addition to the ‘price’ field in the catalog_product_flat_1/2’ tables as well. It would seem that a module could be built around this.

Having a default price field for each group in the price tab of the product edit screen would seem like the best entry interface. Price tiers would not need any changes.

Another way to store prices would be to create additional price attributes for each group, but this would be a manual process, where an automated one would be preferable, ie - adding a group should add a price entry field in the product admin. Using the existing ‘price’ attribute, given the already existing database fields are there, seems like the proper approach.

Now, for getting a module built.....

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3