Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Upgrading 1.3.4 to 1.4.2 fails

JMarkMurphy

Total Posts:  22
Cincinnati, OH

I have a working 1.3.4 installation, and am trying to upgrade to 1.4.2.  Then I want to go to 1.5.1, but first things first.  Anyway, here is what I did.  I deleted all the core libraries and scripts leaving just the modified branches in design and skin, local.xml (renamed), and the media branch.  I unpacked 1.4.2 over this.(I do have a full backup of the application and database)

Then I attempted to reinstall to upgrade the database.  This goes for some time, and then fails, probably due to a script timeout.  At this point I cannot restart it because files are left in a partially upgraded state.  I tried maxing out the PHP script timeout, but that does not help.

Any ideas?

Here is the error report I got:

a:5:{i:0;s:158:"Error in file: “C:\jones\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Customer\sql\customer_setup\mysql4-data-upgrade-1.4.0.0.7-1.4.0.0.8.php” - Invalid mode for clean() method";i:1;s:804:"#0 C:\jones\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\Resource\Setup.php(390): Mage::exception(’Mage_Core’, ‘Error in file: ...’)
#1 C:\jones\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\Resource\Setup.php(252): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb(’data-upgrade’, false, ‘1.4.0.0.13’)
#2 C:\jones\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\Resource\Setup.php(214): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_installData(’1.4.0.0.13’)
#3 C:\jones\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\Resource\Setup.php(194): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyDataUpdates()
#4 C:\jones\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\App.php(301): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllDataUpdates()
#5 C:\jones\magento\app\Mage.php(596): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#6 C:\jones\magento\index.php(80): Mage::run(’’, ‘store’)
#7 {main}”;s:3:"url”;s:1:"/”;s:11:"script_name”;s:10:"/index.php”;s:4:"skin”;s:7:"default";}

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JMarkMurphy

Cincinnati, OH

So I am still having issues, but I had an idea that there should be a way to do this via the command line rather than through a browser.  Any ideas on how to just run the Database update code?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  821
Cleveland

What kind of server environment are you running on? Can you post your phpinfo? How big is your database?

At this point I would suggest taking a clean copy of v1.6 and go through the installation process (don’t transfer any files over). When you get to the database, create a database and import your old database into it. Then let Magento upgrade it that way.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JMarkMurphy

Cincinnati, OH

I am trying to do the conversion on a Windows box with Zend Server Community Eddition.  PHP 5.2, MySQL 5.0 local, DB size 1Gb.  I am installing Magento clean, and then pointing it at the old database.  The process times out.  I haven’t tried going straight to 1.5, or 1.6.  Figured that there would be fewer changes going to 1.4 first.

I will try it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  821
Cleveland

Try this: http://blog.nexcess.net/2011/03/11/upgrading-to-magento-1-5-0-1/

FYI, if your DB is 1GB, you need to clean that bad boy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JMarkMurphy

Cincinnati, OH

I just wanted to report for anyone who finds this in the future.  The upgrade from 1.3.4 to 1.4.2 is quite painful, and I never did get it working.  I was indeed able to upgrade directly from 1.3.4 to a clean copy of 1.6 and 1.7.  There were some skinning changes to make, but the effort wasn’t onerous.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kalenjordan

Total Posts:  218
Pasadena, CA

Hey guys, actually the reason that’s happening is due to this issue:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/77573/

If you got to that point, the 1.3 => 1.4 succeeded actually.  And you just need to wipe out the Zend/Cache/Backend directory b/c it’s no longer needed in 1.4.

Magento Community
Magento Community

freemanjacob

Total Posts:  6

If to chose alternative ways for Magento upgrading, like cart2cart, there is no need to migrate from 1.3 to 1.4 then to 1.5… You go directly to 1.7 without any efforts.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community