Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Items not in stock and have different delivery time

LorenzoG

Total Posts:  36

Hi,

We are going to run a store there we have a smaller part of the items in stock, and the rest (mostly) the products we will order from supplies upon orders. What we want to do is to show the customers how long the normal delivery time is for a product e.g 2-4 working days. Each supplier have different delivery times depending on product and location.

We can obtain this functionality to use an extra field. But I think a much better solution would be to integrate this functionality in the already existing inventory and stock availability functions.

What I want to propose is:

* Be able to create different delivery time categories. For example:
2-4 days
3-7 days
1-2 weeks

* Be able to select the delivery time in the “stock availability” field when I’m editing a product. It would then look something like this:
In stock
Out of stock
2-4 days
3-7 days
1-2 weeks

I hope this makes sense.

Lorenzo

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MalT

Total Posts:  71
Poland

somebody has solution??

Magento Community
Magento Community

vholkano

Total Posts:  21

Have you solve the problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

MalT

Total Posts:  71
Poland

NOT stil searching

Magento Community
Magento Community

Beachlivin

Total Posts:  25

I’ve been considering this situation myself.  I haven’t looked into the specific code yet but I feel like there are a couple of easy ways to accomplish this.

If you want to maintain inventory tracking for some items, the easiest way to incorporate such functionality into the existing inventory management process would be to assign each product a value for “out of stock”.  Whenever the inventory level drops below the assigned threshold, “2-4 days” could be displayed instead of “out of stock”.  This way, the inventory would show “in stock” until it sold out, upon which time the inventory would show “2-4 days” instead of “out of stock”.  This seems to be the only way to preserve the existing functionality of the inventory tracking system.  The problem with simply using a drop-down to choose between ‘in stock’ ‘out of stock’ and ‘2-4 days’ etc. is that it might kill the existing inventory tracking functionality. 

That said, if you’re not using inventory tracking it’s very easy to create a product attribute like “lead time” that has drop-down options, and then change product/view.phtml to reflect the “lead time” attribute instead of “stock status”.  This is what I did for an interim solution.  Took 20 minutes and it works.  But it won’t allow me to track inventory like the solution above.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Directshop

Total Posts:  28
Melbourne, Australia

Hi,

We have been working on a simple module for this idea, although the first version may not do everything the first poster wants, it should be helpful for most. Join our Magento Group or visit our website and subscribe to newsletter to find out when we launch it.

If anyone has any other ideas for it, please post.

Thanks,
Nathan

Magento Community
Magento Community

BKCH

Total Posts:  24

Hi,

I’m looking for this as well - but I need to be able to set different messages for different products - ideally under product->inventory I could select a configurable message from the “stock availability” drop down.

Nathan; will your module do this?  If so, how far away is it do you think?

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

itchytrig

Total Posts:  162
UK

Hi,

Again, we 2nd this… to be able to assign either a different product page template or the better control of stock status messages / delivery schedules to customers, depending on who is supplying the stock to us…

Further down the road the ability to email or notify a supplier that an item of theirs has sold, depending on wether the item is a ‘direct ship’ product. The email content or output file content would then be controlled to include customers details for delivery etc…

wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

AtomixMachines

Total Posts:  11

look at this http://www.magentocommerce.com/images/uploads/attributes_front-end.gif

this is from the wiki. is this something that is already available?

Magento Community
Magento Community

vtexvsi

Total Posts:  1

We’re currently in development of our store in Magento and are also looking for this functionality. Has anyone found any solution that works well for this? Our requirements are simpler; essentially a product will either be in stock or ships in 2-3 days

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community