Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Does Magento have rule based sales tax and shipping? 

Kratos

Total Posts:  6

I am a dropshipper and currently have an Amazon.com storefront.  I am looking at moving to my own website/shopping cart, but am having a difficult time finding a solution with the sales tax and shipping options I need.

Shipping:  Since I am a dropshipper, I do not have control over what shipping method is used, so I can’t simply use a shipping calculator.  I have to use flat-rate shipping based on total price for orders in the continental U.S. but also account for sales going to AFO/APO addresses, Alaska & Hawaii, as well as U.S. Protectorates.  So, as you can see, I need to be able to charge shipping according to total price as well as have the ability to charge more for certain order destinations.

Sales Tax:  I also have multiple vendors, so I need to be able to charge sales tax based on the vendor, combined with the customer’s ship-to address.  I can not simply chose a single state to apply sales tax.

I have attached the Amazon shipping options page for reference.

Is this possible with Magento???

File Attachments
Amazon Shipping Options.doc  (File Size: 74KB - Downloads: 134)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iiNTENSE
Guru

Total Posts:  432
Lansing, MI

Yes, your shipping requirements are standard out-of-box for Magento.  In regards to your sales tax, I would recommend checking your local tax laws.  Many states (if in the U.S.) don’t charge sales tax for online order.  In any case, if they do; you would only need one broad tax percentage and not many since your customers are paying you and not your vendor.
Since you are technically the seller, you would have to charge your local state taxes for all purchases.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kratos

Thanks for your reply iiNTENSE.

Could you give me a little guidance?

Shipping:  When I log into the Magento Admin Panel, then go to System, Configuration, Shipping Methods, I only see that I can choose Flat Rate or Table Rates, since I can not use a shipping calculator.  When looking at either one of those choices, I see that I can set up a single shipping configuration, but I don’t see where I can set up a rule to charge a different amount for an APO/FPO address, a different amount for U.S. Protectorates, and a different amount if the order is going to Alaska or Hawaii.  Hopefully I am just missing something.

Sales Tax:  Sorry, I should have been more clear, learning as I go.  Right now I have 2 vendors, one vendor has warehouses in California and Texas, the other vendor is in Pennsylvania.  The reason I need to be able to charge sales tax for multiple locations is not for my legality, but to make up for the fact the we get charged sales tax if a product is purchased from the vendor who has warehouses in Cali and Texas and the order is going to one of those states.  Same with the Vendor in PA, we get charged sales tax when we get an order that is shipping to PA.  So I need sales tax rules that I can attach to each product so when a purchase is made, the sales tax will be applied correctly.  I can’t have everyone in PA, CA, and TX paying sales tax.  Only if the product they purchase comes from the vendor in their respective state.

Magento Community
Magento Community

iiNTENSE
Guru

Lansing, MI

Kratos,
As far as charging multiple tax rates, you might want to make sure that’s even legal.  As far a I know, you aren’t able to charge additional sales tax other than what is required.

Shipping:  Go to Promotions > Shopping Cart Price Rules

View this Wiki: http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/what-are-shopping-cart-price-rules-and-how-do-i-use-them

If you need further help, let me know and I’ll create a video tutorial for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kratos

Thanks iiNTENSE,

I my case, I need to be able to charge more for shipping to these locations, rather than discount the price.  The only choices I have for actions to apply are discounting the price in some way.  I have found that shipping to APO/FPO addresses, U.S. Protectorates, and Alaska & Hawaii generally seem to be in the neighborhood of $20 more than my normal shipping cost.  So this would work great, if it would allow me to charge more, rather than discount the price.

Magento Community
Magento Community

iiNTENSE
Guru

Lansing, MI

I have a few project I am currently working on.  However, I will create a quick video tutorial this evening for you to view.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kratos

Thank you, your help much appreciated!

Magento Community
Magento Community

DrBillNye

Total Posts:  96
Boulder, CO

Intense, did you end up making that video?  I’d be interested in knowing how to use this as well

Magento Community
Magento Community

Thejosh13

Total Posts:  252

iiNTENSE - 13 November 2008 10:18 AM

I have a few project I am currently working on.  However, I will create a quick video tutorial this evening for you to view.

I would also be interested in this video, is it available? I want to add a handling fee for APOs.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community