Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
(mt) Problem Highlighted!!! READ THIS IF YOU HOST WITH (mt)

Andre

Total Posts:  55
Mongolia

Ok so ive been working all morning with chinesedream to get his (mt) server working properly with Magento.

The problem has been indentified - its the mysql version. We have installed magento and run it using a database from another host and its all working perfect (if not a little slow because of the hops).

If you are on (mt) and they wont upgrade your mysql version then you wont be able to run magento at the present moment. Change hosting is the only option. Even upgrading to a dedicated server doesnt solve the problems apparently: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/228/

I hope this helps ppl on (mt) having problems. the solution: move hosts im afraid. If you’re looking for UK based hosting, then pm me and we can help you get up and running with Magento.

André

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Total Posts:  125

I have managed to get Magento to work with MediaTemple on a dedicated server.  Mysql wasn’t an issue for me.  It was simply finding the proper order of installation and folder permissions.  Magento should be an “easy” install on Grid Servers as they supposedly meet the required specs.  For the dedicated, the mysql workaround Varien provided will eventually work once you get all your cards aligned.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andre

Total Posts:  55
Mongolia

can you post the mysql workaround in here for those that need it pls or a link to it.

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Sure.  Here’s the workaround:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/installing-magento-on-a-php4-server

I’ll try to write up the exact steps that worked for me in the next little while.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

I quickly wrote up a guide on installing Magento on a DV 3.0 server with MediaTemple, based on what finally worked for me yesterday.  I’ll give it another test run when I get home this evening.  But to the best of my recollection, it should work without any issues.

If you’ve already gone crazy trying to upgrade your php version or modifying your server in SSH, you may want to try this on a fresh domain/account, or delete the domain/hosting from Plesk and recreate it, start from scratch.

Once I go through these steps later tonight and am able to install Magento several times flawlessly, I’ll transfer this guide over to the wiki.  It’s pretty close to Magento’s guide in the Knowledge Base, but there a few extra steps that seem to make it work on MediaTemple’s DV servers.

1.  First off, contact MediaTemple through a support ticket and ask them to enable root access on your account.

2.  Once they do (usually only takes 15 minutes to activate once they reply to you), login to your plesk account for the domain you wish to install Magento on.

3.  Go into the setup section for that domain and enable php support (with safe mode off) and cgi support.  Those should be the only two things enabled.

4.  Create a database while youre in Plesk, like you would any other, and write down the DB name, user, password, etc so you dont forget it.

5.  Now youll want to login to your ftp server for that domain.

6.  In the root directory youll see a folder called cgi-bin.  Change its file permission to 755 right now.

7.  Next, download the cgi workaround from Magento (http://www.magentocommerce.com/support/php5cgi/php5-cgi).  Youll want to upload that file into the cgi-bin folder you just modified.  Once its done uploading, change the file permission for the php5-cgi file itself, to 755.

8.  If you havent already, download Magento and extract it to your desktop or whatnot.  Open up the .htaccess file and add in a couple lines.  So itll go from:

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off 
php_flag short_open_tag on 

DirectoryIndex index
.php

to something like:

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off 
php_flag short_open_tag on 

Action php5
-cgi /cgi-bin/php5-cgi 
AddHandler php5
-cgi .php

DirectoryIndex index
.php

9.  Once thats done, save it, and upload the entire folders contents to your desired directory on your server.  If you would like Magento to be accessible from your homepage, install it directly in your httpdocs folder.

10.  When the uploading is complete, youll want to modify the permission of the following files and directories to 755:

magento/var/.htaccess, the directories magento/app/etc, magento/var, and all the directories under magento/media are writable by the web server.

11.  That should be it.  Try to access your webpage in a browser and youd ideally be forwarded to the installation page, where youll input the database information you wrote down earlier and your desired login info.

Give that a try and let me know how you make out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Hi Travis. your method is to have Magento installed on PHP 4x, download the cgi workdaround from Magento, and for mt’s DV that require root access corret?
Am I correct that DV is still PHP 4x and you need to install PHP 5x via SSH with root access?

I don’t mind to give another try but like to confirm if it may work for Grid Server, as you may aware, GS doesn’t have the previledge to have root access and I have enabled PHP 5.2.2 for the domain I wanted Magento to install. The mysql version is 4.1.1 for my gs account, and I couldn’t see the storefront, and a few more pages in the admin. Andre had his database (mysql 4.1.2 - or higher?) pointed to my domain, and everthing works.

About what Andre wrote: “Even upgrading to a dedicated server doesnt solve the problems”, that was my fault, I told him that I believe DV also has the same issue accourding to that thread about mt server in her message.

tgp

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Travis - 04 September 2007 06:29 AM

2.  Once they do (usually only takes 15 minutes to activate once they reply to you), login to your plesk account for the domain you wish to install Magento on.

3.  Go into the setup section for that domain and enable php support (with safe mode off) and cgi support.  Those should be the only two things enabled.

In my gs account, the safe mode is set to off by default:

By default the PHP Safe Mode value is set to ‘off’. You may change this value by manually editing the /etc/php.ini file. Since PHP runs as a CGI on the (gs) Grid-Service, there are not many cases this would need to change so we suggest leaving it as is.

hmm, perhas I can try the rest of the steps first before trying anything else.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

The DV servers are only running PHP 4x.  This work around allows you to trick it into using 5.2.2.

I had attempted to upgrade to 5.2 with a couple other Magento users and had no luck.

So for now, this trick does the job as Magento won’t be market ready for a little while anyways.

From my understanding, Grid Servers already have PHP 5.2.  I think a few other members have confirmed that.  You can check by creating a php document with only the following code in it:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Upload that to your server, visit the page, and see what version it says you have.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Thanks, Travis. I already did and had successfully installled the magento except that it’s showing me “exception ‘Mage_Eav_Exception’ with message ‘Invalid attribute requested:....” errors at store front as well as other pages (all sub pages in sales tab and a few pages in catalog tab).

Ok just found out, the CGI workaroud doesn’t work for me.

tgp

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

I just did my third straight successful installation by following the exact steps I wrote above.

If I have time this weekend, I’ll record a video walkthrough with Camtasia Studio.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fogfish

Total Posts:  4

On my MT GS account, I’m running php 5. I’ve followed everything exactly and I’m still getting the Mage_Eav_Exception error. Waiting for that video too.

thanks in advance!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Hey fogfish,
I won’t be able to help you with a Grid Server.  I’m sure the process is pretty damn close, but I can only confirm it for a Dedicated Virtual 3.0 with (mt).

Is there anyone on a DV still having an issue with installation?  I’ve followed the steps I listed above nearly a dozen times and had a clean install each time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jena

Total Posts:  1

Hi there.

Does anybody know if Magento will work on MT’s Grid Servers in future releases? Everybody I know is hosted on the MT Grid.

Thaks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Jena,

I just posted a tutorial in the wiki. Hope this helps.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/Installing-Magento-on-a-Media-Temple-Grid-Server

Magento Community
Magento Community

gento

Total Posts:  16

I am getting:

Whoops, it looks like you have an invalid PHP version.

Magento supports PHP 5.2.0 or newer. Find out how to install Magento using PHP-CGI as a work-around.

Really odd. I did triple check all persmissions, my php5-cgi file sits in the cgi-bin on root level.

My htaccess file points there like this:

Action php5-cgi /cgi-bin/php5-cgi 
AddHandler php5
-cgi .php

No dice.

I am on a 2.0. Is that the problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

gento

Total Posts:  16

Ok. So I upgraded to a DV3 and still have the same problem. I followed the instructions, the only difference was that I am on a newer version of magento by now, and the .htaccess file looks different. can someone who has managed to get the current version 0.6.13.160 to run smoothly on a media temple dv3 server post their htaccess file? thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2