Magento Forum

How do I import products from a CSV file

teleninovski

Total Posts:  1

Hi all, newbie here

I’ve managed to install the default version of Magento CE 1.5.1.0-stable version.

While the admin console allows me to easily add products individually, I would also like to import/export products and categories.  I managed to export the whole products tables of the database as export_products.csv. 

Here are my questions.

1) The MS Excel spreadsheet of products has 98 columns (attributes).  My products only have a maximum of 10 attributes.  Is it possible to minimize the MS Excel spreadsheet to 10 columns and import this back to Magento?  Will this work or do I need to use the spreadsheet which has 98 records per item.

2) I was also wondering how objects like images are imported to Magento.  The export function only provided a spreadsheet.  No images were exported to my local computer in an organized hierarchy.  Do I have to construct these on my local (sandbox) computer and would Magento throw up errors if I have the file locations incorrect.

Thanks I really appreciate any feedback.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Tom Robertshaw

Total Posts:  485
Bath, UK

Hi there,

Yes you can remove some of the unnecessary columns when reimporting.  As long as you keep sku and I think you’ll need store and website too.

There are images columns and you’ll see these contain paths.  To import images you’ll need to put the images in the /media/import/ folder in your magento installation.  You may need to create the import folder.  Then in your csv file put the filenames of the images you want to import.  Remember that they need forward slashes on them though, e.g. /filename.png.

Magento Community
Magento Community

magentodevguru

Total Posts:  7

I had several issues during my last import to magento in .csv. The most confusing for me - was image import. It was looked like they were imported correctly, but still not shown on the public site. I had created the import folder but nothing help. Now I am looking on file2cart service, will it be able to correct the mistake, or it only imports data? I mean this one service http://www.file2cart.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  854

Hi there,

I guess there is no need to delete unnecessary columns, you can skip them while field mapping if you use Store Manager for Magento to import products. Also there is no need to convert the file, you can import Excel file you have \"as is\” and update the data on the fly (do modifications automatically, no manual changes needed)

As for images import, it is right, they need to be placed in media/import folder in case you are making import with default admin and in the file there should be indicated image names. In case you have URLs to images or they are located on your local PC, you should upload them manually or use Store Manager for Magento application as it handles import of remote and local images. Also it has no requirements to import file and the details can be added or deleted on the fly.

In case you are interested, check the link in my signature.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community