Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

export magento data by products, orders, invoices, customers……

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

hey guys

anyone know how i can just separately export products, orders, invoices, and customers ?  i think something is corrupt on the database and looks like it needs to start from fresh database but don’t want to lose any of these data.

is there any way to perform this? surely magento has this option by now, but i’m really not sure where to look....

your help would be much appreciated for us and the rest of the community.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Maybe you can try with the API. I understand that you can get most of the information that you need.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Huntsville, AL

okay do you know if there are any docs on the API’s?

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

The dataflow has profiles for products, customers, and stock levels.  Sure seems like it should have orders and invoices too. And those separate areas don’t have “Export to CSV” on the action dropdown either.
If you use the dataflow for products, be aware that it doesn’t get all the data such as related products, upsells, cross-sells, or even associated products or groups or bundles.  There are probably other things missing.
The customer dataflow might have the same problem, such as password. (don’t know - I haven’t tried it)

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Huntsville, AL

so there is no export fort for orders, let alone categories?

any particular reason why this fundamental thing is not implemented yet?

*somewhat in state of disbelief*

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Huntsville, AL

oh boy the dreaded reply.....

so then what are my options? i can still do this though, right? i mean, if we can export products, isn’t it just a matter of changing some params to export orders and categories instead?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Buenos Aires, Argentina

@SimpleHelix

About your question of Api’s documentation, look at: http://www.magentocommerce.com/support/magento_core_api

About the Dataflow importer, it’s truth, isn’t the most fastest tool.
I’m using my own scrtips to import my prodcuts (from any other platform) to the database, without using the Dataflow. I directly insert into the database.

--
Damián

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Huntsville, AL

just out of curiousity

why do you suggest using your own api instead of using magento’s own dataflow ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Isn’t a suggestion. I’m talking about my experience.
When I need to process too many products, I can’t wait fot the Dataflow time. I need solutions really fasters.
If you need to read some information or update some product or category, the API works ok; even the Dataflow.

With more than 2k products, I’m not sure if the Dataflow is the best option.
Now, I’m working with an integration between Magento and some ERP. I import and export information twice times a day, and the Dataflow or the Api dosn’t work for me.

With that scenarios, I prefer custom developmets working against the database. Is really much faster. However, you need some extra time to know about all the tables structure.

--
Damián

Magento Community
Magento Community

Romain_C

Total Posts:  74
Hossegor, France

@simplehelix :

I get the same issue as you describe in your first post :

there is a change in my DB that caused to break the “products export”. Eventough when I run the profile, I dont get any error messages and the script runs well until the “Saved successfully: “export_all_products.csv” [988 byte(s)]” appears. But no file is written in var/export/ .

I am sure this is not a file/dir permission issue, cause if I delete all my products, the dataflow script runs well and the file is written - empty but written anyway :-)
And the “customers export” profile runs well also !!!

There is a configuration update(mean just using admin interface) that caused a DB insert which makes this dataflow profile not working. But no way to know which one. Restarting from a totally empty DB is not a right solution (I imagine same for you), but what are the available solution for this kind of issue ?

@Magento team (please !!!) :

Implementing a magento based online store is an iterative process that make inserts in database, while we progress into the shop configuration. But as we are in developement mode (trying to setup shipping, categories,...) we have to insert some fake/sample products and visit some front-end pages to assure that everything is working fine.
But these operations pollute DB with stats/logs infos and other products or categories inserts that were just for dev purpose.  At time of the production release all those insert are not suitable and should be deleted, it would so nice that magento includes some tools to solve these common and repetitive tasks.
- Magento dataflow is a really important aspect for developing and maintaining an online store, more effort should be done on it :
more export options (orders, invoices, ...), script execution speed improvment and better error supports
- It would also be nice to have a view on this iterative development process that is loggued in DB (almost anything in file system) :  and have script for reseting statistics infos, logs,…
- It should be easier to isolate DB inserts that will remain(insert related to store configuration) and the one that come through the store lifecycle.
- there should be a way of managing import/export of complete products sets = db inserts + related image files packaged all together

Magento is being awarded from everywhere, it’s trully a killer ecommerce application, but some “musthave” feature are still missing for making it a so nice application for heavy catalog/traffic stores, that need to have recurrent maintenance...not so far, keep going ;-)

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Huntsville, AL

is the soap/xmlrpc api the only way to retrieve data?

how does Magento retrieve it’s own data? such as order-list in the admin?

i think i’d rather call the magento’s core internal function than soap/xmlrpc to export/import my data.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The API is the easy way to read the information.
Magento works with the entities model.
At this moment, I don’t remember all the API methods.
If you can’t read the fiedls that your need through the API, maybe you can work with the database.

We are making test using the API and de Database. Each one has their own benefits.

--
Damián

Magento Community
Magento Community

bolasevich

Total Posts:  235
Newington, CT USA

possibly? http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/2063

Magento Community
Magento Community

davidpmccarthy

Total Posts:  20
Cork, Ireland

That extension appears to import / export orders only as opposed to invoices.

Anyone had any joy with this (exporting invoices to CSV) ?V

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

SimpleHelix.com - 11 November 2008 11:03 PM

anyone know how i can just separately export products, orders, invoices, and customers ?

As for the orders, invoices, shipment and and credit memos I recommend to check the Efficient Order Export extension.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community