Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I add the weight of packaging and inserts into rate quotes? 

WhoIsGregg

Total Posts:  64
Tampa, Florida

Magento currently adds up the weight of the products in an order and sends that weight for a rate quote… Where do I put in the weight of the box, invoice, packaging materials, etc?

The reason I ask is because some items weigh less than the minimum 1 ounce required by USPS. Of course, in reality, that 0.2 ounce item is being put in a padded envelope with a copy of their invoice, a thank you card, and a flyer promoting other products. So where do I tell Magento how much all that other stuff weighs?

A similar issue exists with larger items—the box and packing supplies may actually weigh quite a bit. I understand that conventional wisdom here says “the cost of these materials is what ``shipping & handling`` covers” but I see a couple benefits of actually providing the weight itself:

* It gets around the issue with USPS minimum weights
* It accurately reflects packaging weights for products which require extra packaging

Is this currently implemented?

If not, what are your thoughts on this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

d00ley

Total Posts:  1

I second your question!  This function is so obvious and vital that I find it hard to image that it’s not available.

As you mentioned, there are several scenarios where “hacks”, such as using handling fees to compensate, simply don’t work well, often resulting in too much or too little being added.

The simplest solution would be to have a packaging weight value/field.  This could also be called a ‘starting weight’.  When weight is calculated in the cart, it simply adds the packaging weight to sum of the products.

A more robust solution (but still very simple), would be to be able to add packaging “products”.  For, example, I may have three different shipping boxes/packaging materials.  I may add each of the three packaging “products”, giving each a name and weight.  Then, for any given product, I could define (ideally via dropdown), which packaging that product uses.  When this product is added to the cart, it simply uses (quantity x product weight) + packaging weight.  Very simple.

Even more ideal and, again, simple, would be to allow a product’s packaging to be variable, ie. from quantities 1-20 use the big box, from 20-100, use the bigger box.

Again, this seems so simple and so useful, that I wouldn’t be surprised if it is already available and I just haven’t figured it out.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WhoIsGregg

Total Posts:  64
Tampa, Florida

Thanks for posting d00ley! I’m glad I’m not the only one who sees value for this kind of feature.

I really like the different implementations you suggest, any of those would work great.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community