Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can Magento Do Travel? 

stormyweather

Total Posts:  2

Hi

I have an existing web site that sells bicycle holidays/vacations but currently people have to telephone us to book.  I want to add online booking and payment with the following characteristics

- user selects the vacation
- specifies number of people
- for each person we collect name, address, height, food preferences, room requirements, airport pickups if required and travel related data
- we need to collect a deposit payment and then later a final payment

Also, as the website already exists, we don’t want a full shop - just to add the e-commerce pages to the existing site and try to style them to fit in wit the existing site.

Could Magento do all this?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iiNTENSE
Guru

Total Posts:  432
Lansing, MI

Hypothetically Magento can do just about anything you’d like it to, however not out of the box.  There would be quite a bit of scripting modification required to handle what your requesting.  Be aware that Magento is a shopping cart and not a membership software

Magento Community
Magento Community

stormyweather

Total Posts:  2

I appreciate your response - I’ve since decided to hand code a bespoke cart even though someone did advise me that X-Cart would easily do the type of thing I need. I did find that hard to believe though, but then what do I know about shopping carts?

I am not sure what you meant about Magento not being a membership site - I didn’t think it was.  Thanks anyway.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community