Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Custom Option vs. Attribute

boundlessdata

Total Posts:  22

I feel almost silly asking this question.  Is it possible add an attribute that I can reuse over and over without having to create a configurable product or re-enter the 26 letters of the alphabet for hundreds of products as a custom option?  I am dealing with many different styles of a monogrammed product in which the customer must select the letter or initial before adding to the cart.  We do not keep inventory because the product is made to order and just reviewing the instructions for a configurable product gives me a headache.  If someone could please point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Tina

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

Total Posts:  618
US

Hello Tina,

Please take a look at our Custom Options Templates extension.  It will enable you to create templates of custom options which can be reused and will save you lots of time.

Also, we offer Product Matrix extension that might be of use for your business. This extension will enable you to to create and edit configurable products with two attributes in a convenient matrix form, where you can specify configuration for each simple associated product.

I hope this info is helpful.

Magento Community
Magento Community

crazygirl

Total Posts:  56

If you don’t need stock facility then forget configurable and use simple products and just add the letters as custom options smile

Then use the nice duplicate button to make a new product with all the letters again next time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

boundlessdata

Total Posts:  22

Thanks CrazyGirl1.  I forgot about the duplicate feature.  Sometimes we get so focused on something we can’t see the forest because the trees are in the way.

Well AITOC, it sounds nice but I’m working on a budget and I don’t want to introduce any paid extensions at this point.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community