Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Create new interface or theme? 

Chris Farley

Total Posts:  43

I am beginning to experiment with ‘skinning’ magento for our needs. I’ve read through the designers guide.

Maybe I’ve been reading too long, but I’m not 100% sure if I should be creating a new interface, or a new theme within the default interface.

I’m concerned that if I create a whole new interface, then I may have upgrade issues. For example, won’t my theme be always and forever tied to Magento version 1.1.6?

Are there any ‘best practices’ here? Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Total Posts:  261
Long Beach, CA

Not necessarily, if you update files within the theme folders then in most cases upgrading wont affect it. Its one of the many reasons why Magento sets itself apart from other platforms, it separates the theme files from the core files. However I would recommend upgrading through a local server first, better safe than sorry. With the few theme’s that I’ve created so far, I haven’t had any problems upgrading. Good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris Farley

Total Posts:  43

Just so I understand, I’m trying to compare two approaches:

#1-> Create a custom interface
copy app/design/frontend/default to app/design/frontent/my_interface (and also skin/frontend/default to skin/frontent/my_interface).

#2-> Create a custom theme
create a new directory app/design/frontent/default/my_theme

I think what you’re saying is that if I go with option #2, upgrades will be easier. Any future changes to magento’s default theme will be incorporated into my theme, and things should stay compatible.

If I create a whole new interface (option #1), I’m cutting myself off from any future changes to magento’s theme, even if those changes are needed to support new features. In other words, this is *bad*.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community