I’m having this same problem. I have been battleing it for a while. I was able to import about 200 items in 10 pc increments but now it’s not even taking that. Any solutions on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated.
It seems that 1.50 version has been presenting this bug:
when you import the cvs or xml file , Magento “erases” all the data in the “status” column, that defines if the product is enabled or disabled.
Being “unclassified”, those products don’t appear at the backend.
You can see that usually those products are actually in your database: try to add a new product and click at the option “ Up-sells” or “Cross-sells”: all the imported products are there, and the “status” field is blank.
Just for the record: I have diagnosed the problem, but I am still struggling to fix it.
Exporting the products and importing them again didn’t work for me ( since, when you import the products again, Magento erases the status data all over again), nor editing the cvs file through ftp.
Now I am trying to change the data directly at mysql database, I’ll let you know if it works…
If anyone has an easier solution, please…
I have found out that several people are having this same problem.
I had the same issue with importing via a CSV file but the products did not show up in admin product management.
My workaround solution is to use Angelica\\\\\\\’s method to update the product one by one. However I used iMacros for Firefox (http://www.iopus.com/imacros/firefox/?ref=fxmoz) to record my mouse and keyboard actions and play it back. I just let it run for a few hours and all the products seems to be there now in product management.
Okay - so the CSV import/export software is terribly buggy and simply bad. It should have never been released in this form.
I finally got my products to import by exporting a product that displayed correctly and copying all of it’s data. I had done this originally but had not been careful enough to preserve EVERY nuance.
Also, to the hackers: Switching the failed imports to “Enabled” via the admin system updates no fewer than SEVEN database tables. Do not bother trying to hack your solution together; figure out how to work with Magento’s failure of an I/E system.