Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Stock Levels Per Product Option

jamescharlick

Total Posts:  1

Hi,

I’m looking for an eCommerce system that will let me manage my stock per product option rather than for that product over all. For example:

I’m selling T-Shirts, I have 10 Small, 20 Medium, 20 Large and 10 XL. I want this to be one product - one T-Shirt design. Telling the system that I have 60 T-Shirts in stock won’t help me because I might end up selling 15 smalls - I need to be more specific and state the stock level for each option.

Is this a feature that Magento supports? I’ve been struggling to find it in other eCommerce systems.

Many Thanks,

James.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chadjmorgan

Total Posts:  252
Michigan

jamescharlick - 04 April 2011 06:05 AM

Hi,

I’m looking for an eCommerce system that will let me manage my stock per product option rather than for that product over all. For example:

I’m selling T-Shirts, I have 10 Small, 20 Medium, 20 Large and 10 XL. I want this to be one product - one T-Shirt design. Telling the system that I have 60 T-Shirts in stock won’t help me because I might end up selling 15 smalls - I need to be more specific and state the stock level for each option.

Is this a feature that Magento supports? I’ve been struggling to find it in other eCommerce systems.

Many Thanks,

James.

James,

If you use configurable products you can manage stock per product. That way, you have your quantity on hand for each size and/or color.

You also may be interested in my custom stock status extension, which adds more functionality to the default magento stock system by offering more ways to communicate stock options. You can check it out here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/chadjmorgan/extension/4085/configurable_product_custom_stock_status

Let me know if this helps you or you have anymore questions

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

James, note that you need to create configurable products, not products with custom options.  In the magento these two are completely different approaches.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mimiclothing

Hi can you tell me how exactly i create these quantities per size for an item. Im using magento 1.7.0.2??thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

pighunt

Hopefully this will help people in the future.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-creating-a-configurable-product

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

In Magento you can solve your issue with the help of configurable products.

We also recommend you to take a look at some modules, which can be great for configurables.
With Custom Stock Status extension you can assign different stock statuses to options of configurable products (e.g. status “Only 2 left” for S-size and “Out of stock, wait next week” for M-size).

Color Swatches Pro is a Magento color selector module which presents configurable products on a new level by animating boring text attributes.

For more details, feel free to write directly to our support team at http://amasty.com/support.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  771

It is better to avoid using configurable products where you can and use custom options, the problem is the stock per size colour combination for custom options. The key reason is that you need a simple product per option, it is a pain to manage, you have a 5-10x larger database and performance.

If you are a small business and spend most of your time managing inventory and updating Magento you will not sell much anyway, so you need to balance product maintenance with performing other tasks.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community