Ok so the title of this post isnt the best, but here is the issue in a nut shell (big nutshell)
I have configurable products, simple products in my system. I want to be able to do a few things, so to keep this a bit clearer, Im going with a bullleted list:
- Id like to type in a simple product’s sku.html and land on the configured product, for my SEO and advertising campaigns.
- I dont want a million of simple products showing up if the customer does a search, unless someone did a sku search.
- I dont want those products in the browsable catalog at all (thats the easy part)
- Id like those products included in the sitemap.
- I have a mix of (not Associated) simple AND configurable products in my store
Now I have to think the first step is to have the ‘associated simple products’ visibility set to search only so they
A) Dont show up in the catalog
B) are searchable
Issues are :
A) there are tons of associated products in the search results
B) they are not in the sitemap
so there’s my starting point, I would really like to do this the Magento Friendly way ( XML, templates) instead of hunting down the SELECT statement and changing it to not include the name, description, and short description of products with visibility set to search, and potentially get screwed with a core update.
Would love to hear what you think!