Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Modify the Product Search and Sitemap to Get Indexed Better

zep007

Total Posts:  131
Connecticut

Ok so the title of this post isnt the best, but here is the issue in a nut shell (big nutshell) wink

I have configurable products, simple products in my system.  I want to be able to do a few things, so to keep this a bit clearer, Im going with a bullleted list:

- Id like to type in a simple product’s sku.html and land on the configured product, for my SEO and advertising campaigns.

- I dont want a million of simple products showing up if the customer does a search, unless someone did a sku search.

- I dont want those products in the browsable catalog at all (thats the easy part)

- Id like those products included in the sitemap.

- I have a mix of (not Associated) simple AND configurable products in my store

Now I have to think the first step is to have the ‘associated simple products’ visibility set to search only so they

A) Dont show up in the catalog
B) are searchable

Issues are :
A) there are tons of associated products in the search results
B) they are not in the sitemap

so there’s my starting point, I would really like to do this the Magento Friendly way ( XML, templates) instead of hunting down the SELECT statement and changing it to not include the name, description, and short description of products with visibility set to search, and potentially get screwed with a core update.

Would love to hear what you think!
wink

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

zep007

Total Posts:  131
Connecticut

bump…

Id really like a little help on not having the products show up in the search, but visible if I enter the URL for the simple product (linked to the configurable one)

Magento Community
Magento Community

hindleydp

Total Posts:  98

I really need to find out how to include all simple products associated with configurable products in the sitemap also...anyone got any ideas on this??

Magento Community
Magento Community

hindleydp

Total Posts:  98

Having searched for hours and hours I have come to the conclusion that this isn’t possible, but would be very useful (potential feature request?).  In order to get sitemap to display your products they have to be visible in the catalog not just search…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community