Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Making a template is hard

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

For those interested in learning (and not complaining) - please join us for a Designing for Magento Webinar. More information at the link below:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/designing-for-magento-webinar-learn-the-basics/

Hope to see you there!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

I think you could actually implement the vBulletin templating system if you wanted to.

Magento’s system is basically

Page
    \_ Block
         \_ phtml file

|

\_ Block
           \_ phtml file

There shouldn’t be any problem with replacing the XML file with more PHP and HTML files.  You’re going to need the logic that decides “should I put a box over here or not?”, in magento, that logic is in XML rather than PHP IF()s or includes()s.

Actually, it’s something that I’ve been thinking about doing now for a while.  How do you let users completely control the templates of an application, w/o having them muck around next to the code.  The issue is mostly with end-user’s comfort level in understanding what they can and can’t edit.  Also, you want to protect their work during upgraes.  The only thing I don’t like is that $this is always pointing to different Objects.  It would be nice if $this always pointed to 1 particular object and then you could get the current block with $this->block->… but that might be too much typing… ehh, it’s a toss up at that point.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Stubbed

Total Posts:  6

SeanCulver - 03 January 2008 04:00 PM

I fully agree and it appears magento will have such a template… I hope. and I hope they release it soon too.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/magento-behind-the-scenes-product-pages/

Sean

That would be ideal to start off with - Will that ever be released?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mihainord

Total Posts:  1

I’ve tested magento over and over. It seems to be a lot safer than the old os-commerce and the other 100000 applications based on it. However, learning it is very difficult without proper documentation and THERE is no real documentation.

It’s like learning a software from a Tips&Tricks;database.

On the other hand, this is actualy a good thng. We already have a tone of e-commerce scripts that work on php/js platforms. This is a brand new, award winning, php/js/xml system, so I’ll give it a shot. Its structure is logical enough but there is a great maze of folders, subfolders and sub-subfolders. I like it! It’s not the usual all files in one folder method.

I’m testing a template implementation right now. I’m building it from zero. When it’s almost done you’ll find my link here.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2