Magento Forum

CMS Pages error “A page URL key for specified store already exists.” [SOLVED]

bitstream

Total Posts:  45

I’m adding some themes in my magento and one step require to create additional page.
I want to add a new home page but when I put ‘home’ in page key I get this error:

A page URL key for specified store already exists.

I don’t get this error because on pages there are already two pages with ‘home’ url key.
One with 1 column and another one with 2 columns with right bar.

Only way I can add my page is to rename the key on those two but if magento can have two pages with the same url key why can’t I add another one?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

gfxguru

Total Posts:  186

I’m getting the same with the latest version 1.5.1. Anyone come up with a fix for this yet?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bitstream

gfxguru, it’s not magento.
I figure it out what was wrong, atleast in my case.
Magento doesn’t let you have same URL Key for the same store view.
So, if you set “home” on one store view the second one can’t be set on the same store.
Here is a screenshot:
page url key

Magento Community
Magento Community

askwhyweb

Total Posts:  10

I am having the same issue
“A page URL key for specified store already exists”
This is appearing while updating the original homepage under CMS->Pages->Homepage

Anybody can assist me regarding this ? I am using magento 1.5.1.0 with sample data on
http://173.199.150.232/~tdata/index.php

Waiting for assistance

Reagrds,
Farhan islam

Magento Community
Magento Community

bitstream

Check your store view.
You can’t set a new ‘home’ on same store view.

Magento Community
Magento Community

askwhyweb

I agree with you but please note i said that i am trying to update existing (already in sample data) not creating a new one.

Regards,
Farhan islam

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kentropolis

Total Posts:  15

Sorry, this is NOT resolved.

I am getting the error on a new install.  I cannot change or save the home page, or even disable it.

WTH?

Magento Community
Magento Community

askwhyweb

Hi Kentropolis,

You should need to delete any existing cms page with same URL key regardless of their status.

What I found is an issue with newer magento installations that any existing cms page with same url key causes issue.

Thanks
Farhan islam

Kentropolis - 30 December 2012 04:41 PM

Sorry, this is NOT resolved.

I am getting the error on a new install.  I cannot change or save the home page, or even disable it.

WTH?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kentropolis

Well, I wanted to keep the “home” pages as templates.

This was my fix:

I RENAMED the home page, made my changes, then named it back to “home” after also renaming the alternative disabled home page (just in case).

However, there is absolutely no reason I should have had to do this.  It works in a similar install fine and just randomly decides not to work as it’s supposed to?  I’m getting tired of countless Magento glitches not being solved for years, where over half my development time is devoted to “workarounds” rather than just implementing purported features.

Sorry for venting ... it’s not directed at other posters here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

askwhyweb

Well Kentropolis,

I do understand your frustration, but try to understand the complexity behind the business logic.

Nor you and nor me being a developer is able to offer all features to everyone for free.

Magento the community edition you probably are talking about is something created with the help of community contribution + Magento team contribution.

So blaming a community is not good, where everyone tries to help as little to as much as possible. This is something like a donation where no one can donate dedication to his work with no aim/ profit.

Anyways, let me short down to the point, Magento had also a different versions of software for sale like Magento professionals, Magento enterprises and so on.

Why don’t you go choose any of them ?

Thanks

Kentropolis - 01 January 2013 05:31 PM

Well, I wanted to keep the “home” pages as templates.

This was my fix:

I RENAMED the home page, made my changes, then named it back to “home” after also renaming the alternative disabled home page (just in case).

However, there is absolutely no reason I should have had to do this.  It works in a similar install fine and just randomly decides not to work as it’s supposed to?  I’m getting tired of countless Magento glitches not being solved for years, where over half my development time is devoted to “workarounds” rather than just implementing purported features.

Sorry for venting ... it’s not directed at other posters here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kentropolis

askwhyweb - 01 January 2013 07:53 PM

Well Kentropolis,

I do understand your frustration, but try to understand the complexity behind the business logic.
Nor you and nor me being a developer is able to offer all features to everyone for free.

I understand the logic, and have defended Magento on the grounds of its complexity. 

However, I am not asking for free features.  I am asking for existing features to WORK as they are supposed to. 

Is that really too much to ask?

So blaming a community is not good, where everyone tries to help as little to as much as possible. This is something like a donation where no one can donate dedication to his work with no aim/ profit.

No one is blaming the community.  But I have a right to be frustrated that dozens of issues over several years have not yielded solutions in these forums from the team or users, making me wonder if there are any answers to some. 

And so I do appreciate the fact you even responded.

Anyways, let me short down to the point, Magento had also a different versions of software for sale like Magento professionals, Magento enterprises and so on.

Why don’t you go choose any of them ?

First, it is cost prohibitive to almost anyone in my target client base.

Secondly, I am extremely hesitant to consider it for exactly the above reasons.

If I am to pay $15K, there needs to be a LOT of assurance the support will be there, and I have no experience to demonstrate that since they do not offer support at all on the Community version.  I do not even mean taking the time personally, but having a knowledge base and other docs that answers a litany of simple development questions I had to figure out on my own.  It would have saved me a hundred hours, easily.  I might have to write a manual myself, since there’s nothing for intermediate developers at all out there that I’ve seen.

I have wondered if Enterprise is truly better, or just with more front-end features that may or may not work without hacks and constant trouble-shooting.  Does the back end provide something as simple as block and column control without having to dig around in XML and PHP for every little change? 

Don’t misunderstand me.  I think Magento is the best thing out there.  And yes, the code development requirements are a bit beyond me and I’m getting up that learning curve.  But there’s no way I will move up to such a huge expense unless it would handle a LOT of the headaches I have now. 

The bottom line is that I would gladly have paid one or two thousand dollars for the free version if it didn’t have a number of the tedious issues.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community