Magento Forum

Storage engine : myISAM or InnoDB

Capitaine Commerce

Total Posts:  68
Lille, France

Since I get strange behaviors on my Magento database, I’ve got a look at the storage engines of the table.
For example, catalog_product_entity’s storage engine is myISAM.
Is that correct ? Shoudn’t it be InnoDB. I’m quite doubtful…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

All my tables are InnoDB except for the ones that start with log_* and paygate_authorizenet_debug.  Those exceptions are MyISAM.  What version are you on?  I did a fresh install of 0.6.14100

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

This is something that has confused me a bit. I see all my tables to be InnoDB tables in version 0.8.16100 ( latest as of date). Though the sample data file script that loads sample data drop existing tables and creates MYISAM tables ...seems odd ..wish someone could clarify why the sample data script is out of sync with the base installation of magento? Also which is the correct one?

My feeling is that it should be MYISAM as InnoDB is more used for transaction handling whereas as an e-commerce store, the scope for transaction handling is relevant only at the time of order booking. So all other tables need to be MYISAM which is more optimized for performance (particularly search).

Magento Community
Magento Community

AdobeShinobi

Total Posts:  3

But they use a lot of REFERENCES to other tables so I think that they’re suppose to be InnoDB since MySQL doesn’t support them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lorenzo01

Total Posts:  221
France

finally, innoDb or MyIsam ? What is the best solution ??
thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

hmmm ...as AdobeShinobi pointed, magento seems to be using a lot of Foreign Key references and MYSQL as of now does not seem to be supporting Foreign key references yet (refer
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/ansi-diff-foreign-keys.html)

But I do believe that MYISAM would be more approriate for an ecommerce system where the search functionality is more important and performance has top priority. Well atleast for the search related tables and on Attribute tables where MYISAM offers a significant performance boost through its index caching. A programmatic check in code may be more optimized by than enforcing referential integrity through foreign keys for the following tables atleast -
All catalog tables like catalog_product_entity, catalog_product_entity_varchar, catalog_product_entity_text, etc
All EAV attribute tables

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/myisam-key-cache.html

In retrospect, I wonder why the INNODB implementation was preferred for these tables.

Magento Community
Magento Community

aimos

Total Posts:  18

innoDB is the advanced storage engine of mysql. It supports foreign key checks AND transactions.

If your whole db is build on innodb AND you want to add fulltext search you have to double some
tables and fill them with data with a link back to the source table. You don’t need to build all your db
on myIsam to achive that.

InnoDB is ok.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community