Magento Forum

“Percent off” shopping cart rule not working

JenniferAslan

Total Posts:  20
Pacific Northwest

We recently updated our install of Magento to 1.1.6. Before that I had set up a shopping cart rule that would give 10% off a shopping cart with at least nine items in it, excluding certain SKUs. The rule worked before the update, but now it only seems to work now and then and I haven’t been able to establish a pattern for that. In fact, I tried removing the rule altogether and recreating it from scratch, and ever since then it doesn’t work at all.

I have set the rule to apply to not logged in customers and general customers (we don’t have any other groups set up). It’s active and its priority is 0. There is no coupon code since it is supposed to automatically apply to a cart with a total items quantity equal to or greater than 9.  Since I’m not using a coupon code, the fields for “Uses per coupon” and “Uses per customer” were left blank and automatically filled in with 0 by Magento. There is no end date set.

The conditions are:

If ALL of these conditions are TRUE :
* Total Items Quantity equals or greater than 9

The actions are:

Apply Percent of product price discount
Discount amount * 10
Maximum Qty Discount is Applied to 0
Discount Qty Step (Buy X) 9
Free shipping no
Stop further rules processing yes

Right now I don’t have any additional conditions set, but I will need to exclude items with certain SKUs and other attributes. I would leave the “Maximum Qty Discount is Applied to” blank, but when I do that, Magento puts a 0 in there. I’m not sure if that means that the discount will be applied to 0 items (that would be logical), but it seems like having a 0 there in the previous install we had didn’t stop the rule from working. I’ve tried various multiples of 9 in there and it hasn’t helped anyway.

In System--› Configuration--› Sales--› Checkout--› My Cart Link I have “Display item quantities” selected, and that’s the number I want the shopping cart rule discount to apply to.

When I go into the store and add a quantity of 1 for 9 different products, the discount doesn’t happen. If I add a quantity of 9 of one product, the discount does happen, but it only applies to that one product, even if there are another 9 individual products in the cart that should, by rights, also get the discount.

I don’t think I have the rule set up wrong, but maybe I do. I have tried refreshing the caches and that hasn’t helped either. I have added the items to the shopping cart while in Safari and Firefox and it hasn’t worked in either browser. I haven’t had an opportunity to test it in any version of Internet Explorer yet, but I have the feeling it wouldn’t make any difference. Is this a bug in this version of Magento? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This shopping cart rule is one of the most important things to my client about his store and we really need to fix it. Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JenniferAslan

Total Posts:  20
Pacific Northwest

So here’s an update:

I changed a few things in the actions for this rule:

Apply Percent of product price discount
Discount amount * 10
Maximum Qty Discount is Applied to 9
Discount Qty Step (Buy X) 1
Free shipping no
Stop further rules processing no

And I added these conditions:

If ALL of these conditions are TRUE :

* SKU is not 101-01
* SKU is not 102-01
* SKU is not 100-1
* Single/Case of 6 is not Case of 6
* Single/Case of 8 is not Case of 8
* Single/Case of 12 is not Case of 12
* Single/Case of 16 is not Case of 16
* Single/Case of 24 is not Case of 24
* Single/Case of 36 is not Case of 36
* Name does not contain Case

The attributes “Single/Case of X” are used to create configurable products that allow the shopper to choose between a single product or a case of that product, so all but four of the visible products in our catalog are configurable products. The three SKUs shown above are simple products and not configurable. For each configurable product, we have two simple products that display nowhere, one of which is set to “Case of x,” with the other set to “Single Item.” For the ones that have “Case of x” selected, we have the word Case in the “Name” field.

Now the rule does apply to nine items in the cart, unless they have the three SKUs listed, but the system still insists on applying the discount to cases of product, when we only want it to apply to single products. I can put any combination of nine individual products in the cart and see the discount, but if one of the items in the cart is a case, it still gets the discount. If I add nine cases of a product to the cart, it gets the discount. It seems like the system is ignoring conditions based on certain attributes (and not only the ones that I created—"Name" is a built-in attribute, but the condition I set for it is also ignored).

If I do the conditions conversely (i.e. I say “Single/Case of 6 is Single Item") it makes no difference, and I don’t want to use that anyway, because it would, logically, exclude items that aren’t even sold by the case and therefore don’t have the “Single/Case of X” attributes on them. Why are my conditions being ignored? I’m only able to use the attributes in the conditions because they appear in the drop-downs, so you would think that means the system knows about them, but apparently not.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community