Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I install extensions? (Error 1)

rajaman

Total Posts:  5

How can I add extensions (such as localization packages) to Magento?

I’ve tried it through the admin menu “System->Magento Connect->Magento Connect Manager” but every time I got the following error:

Error 1!
/downloader/index.php?A=pearInstallPackagePost
Unknown Error!

I’ve tried different extension packages but it’s always the same. Can anyone help me out with this? Is there perhaps another way of installing extensions?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iiNTENSE
Guru

Total Posts:  432
Lansing, MI

Interesting post and error.  Not sure what the cause of it may be, however try reinstalling the /downloader folder and setting it to 755 or 777 file permission. 

Let me know if that helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rajaman

Alright. I started again from scratch. Wiped my server clean by deleting all files and directories.

First I checked if my server is Magento-compatible (according to magento-check.php it is). Then I followed the installation guide for the installer version of Magento. However, I can’t get Magento installed because when I click “Start the download process” I get the exact same error mentioned above. (The only way I was able to run Magento before was by doing a full installation version).

I’m at a loss. Tried file/directory permissions 777, 775, and 755. Nothing solves the problem. Can anyone help?

Image Attachments
magento.installation.error1.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

iiNTENSE
Guru

Lansing, MI

Who do you host with?  Have you tried to install it manually with the downloader?

Magento Community
Magento Community

rajaman

I’ve contacted my host and was assured that the server fulfills the system requirements. I’ve set all the directories permission to 777 but I still cannot install Magento using the “downloader” version. (I can upload all the files from the “full package” installation and get Magento running, but then I still get the same error trying to install extensions.)

Any more ideas about what could be wrong?
Is there a way to manually install extensions without going through the MagentoConnect Manager in the backend?

Magento Community
Magento Community

iiNTENSE
Guru

Lansing, MI

Are you having issues with the initial install or with MagentoConnect.  If you need assistance with the initial install, feel free to PM me.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community