Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Homepage Dropdowns & dedicated search

AMMoyer

Total Posts:  10

I added 3 tiered dropdown boxes for a specialized search into the homepage through Admin section of the backend.  The first dropdown has a list of years and as soon as I select one, it gets “sent” to the Search the Entire Store and comes back empty.  I need to stop that from happening until all 3 dropdowns are filled.

What I ultimately want to do is have a make, model, year lookup on the homepage that searches a table I’ve added to the database and then comes back with all parts for that vehicle.  I had the MMY lookup working on a skeleton webpage using PHP.  I just need to learn the proper way to integrate this into Magento. 

Should the search be in a separate module or am I completely off base here?  Thanks

Adam

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mwehrly

Total Posts:  22
U.S.A

Adam,
I am currently working through this process as well.  I would be interested to share notes on your exact methods for this.  I am currently implementing AJAX and creating a custom module to insert into static blocks or any of the page templates.  Ideally, in the admin section, it would be nice to have the years, makes, models listed just like the categories and would allow you to associate products just as the categories do, but this is currently out of my magento knowledge.  I have been able to get the drop down search to function externally, but have been unsuccessful with a magento integration. 

My addition to the database includes 4 tables.

- vehicle_year
- vyear_id
- vyear

- vehicle_make
- vmake_id
- vmake

- vehicle_model
- vmodel_id
- vmodel

- vehicle_details
- vdetails_id
- vyear_id
- vmake_id
- vmodel_id
- vboltpattern
- voffset

My reasoning for creating a table with vehicle details is that once a vehicle has associated products with it, the search will only show years, makes and models for products that are available.  This reduces the aggravation for customers to drill down to their vehicle and finding nothing.  Also, I have been thinking about trying to integrate a “garage” into the customer account that will store the vehicle details etc. 

And I will be adding additional vehicle details once the entire module is working properly. As well as the ability to associate products.  Is this the same process you are working through?  Thanks.

Matt

Magento Community
Magento Community

AMMoyer

Total Posts:  10

Matt,
Yes, what I’m trying to do is very similar.  I’ve integrated 3 tables into the db.

-make
-make_ID
-make_name

-model
-model_ID
-model_name

-applications
This table has all the make, model, year info and all vehicle attributes (drivetype, engine, trans, etc) related to the parts we carry.

How I’ve done the MMY search is based on this applications table, so there should be no deadends if we don’t carry anything for your car.  Currently our data is in Access, so I have imported a sample into MySQL for testing.  We have over 100,000 different part/vehicle combinations with about 4000 parts, so I’m leary about dumping the whole thing in at this time.

The “garage” idea is good.  Similar to Napaonline and SummitRacing’s sites, but it is very handy that the site already knows your vehicle(s) when you get there.

What I “think” I need to do is have the MMY dropdowns initiate the search of “my” tables, then feed the results back to magento as any other search result.  Now how I get there is my biggest problem.  I’ve gone through some tutorials for adding custom modules without much success yet.  I am still trying to get my arms around how it all works together.  I would be happy to help however I can.  Is there some IM or PM on this board so as to not tie up the forum?  Thanks.

Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

invaderflid

Total Posts:  59
Northport Long Island New York

What I’m trying to do is not entirely the same, but it seems like one of you guys might be able to help me. I’d like to modify the manage products section in the admin panel.  What I’m looking to do is add a field or drop down to search/filter the products by manufacturer.  What I’m looking to do is be able to filter the products and use select all to perform a mass delete.  If anyone knows what files I’d need to modify to get this going that would be appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mwehrly

Total Posts:  22
U.S.A

Adam,

You can PM me or email me, both are available in my profile.  If you want, I can tell you what files I am working in as that might help on the direction to go.  The major problems that I am currently dealing with are the administration portion of the process.  It seems relatively difficult to modify the code without breaking it.  Hopefully we can get something working and stable enough for a production install.

Invaderflid,

Based on what you have stated, I think this thread might help

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/20877/

Best of Luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

invaderflid

Total Posts:  59
Northport Long Island New York

mwehrly,

Thanks for the link.  I’ve only skimmed it so far but it looks good.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community