Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

confusion with breadcrumbs and topLinks outside of header.phtml

eluminous

Total Posts:  27
Victoria, Australia

I am trying to arrange elements that are in the header.phtml file (inside of a 2columns-right.phtml template) and have them placed in various areas of a page. Can anyone tell me why is it that the breadcrumb tag

<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('breadcrumbs'?>
will show up in the template frontend in isolation when it is placed outside of the header.phtml template area, but the tag
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('topLinks'?>
wont. I’m just not sure what I am missing here.

At this point in time the Logic of Magento is still confusing the heck out of me.... Both the ‘Designers Guide’ and ‘Intro To Layouts’ articles are quite vague which makes it very hard to pin down the ‘how to’ of advanced custom templating.

What I am trying to achieve is migrating a complete custom designed and coded xhtml page into the Magento framework.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jofgav

Total Posts:  30
UK

I too am in need of an answer to this question.
In my case, it was working originally but after upgrading the modern theme and trying to redo parts of the template it seems to have failed to show. :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

bes

Total Posts:  2

Look at your XML please.
File - page.xml in your theme.
There you will find, that ‘breadcrumbs’ stays without parent, but ‘topLinks’ stays in the block header.

Maybe this will help you, but I’m not sure smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community