Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Configurable products pricing, stock levels, images pull from simple product HELP! 

Total Posts:  25

I have a list of simple products. Each has their own Price, Image and Inventory count
I have created a Grouped product (think Tshirt with size and color) and associated the right products with drop downs for size and color.

How can I get the grouped product to display
1) The price range from the simple products associated with this configurable product
2) Use “In stock” as default but then change once a drop down is selected for size and color that may be out of stock
3) on the configurable product show all the individual product images
3b) bonus would be if the main image can be changed when the person changes the color in the drop down

I am importing all my products from a csv file with the exception of associating the simple products to the configurable, which I do through the interface.

I do not want to do the images again for the master product. I do not want to have to reinput all the prices, when they are already right there in the simple product csv table. I am not sure what is up with the inventory.

How do I do this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Benn poking around but still no luck on any of these 3. Anyone?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Matt Dean
Guru

Total Posts:  549

I have created a Grouped product (think Tshirt with size and color) and associated the right products with drop downs for size and color.

Do you mean Configurable rather than Grouped product?  (Grouped products are the ones where as a user you type in how many of each subproduct you want, eg http://demo.magentocommerce.com/magento-red-furniture-set.html )

1) The price range from the simple products associated with this configurable product

You’ve already seen it, but for the benefit of others (and to plug my own work smile ) try using this extension which does just that.

2) Use “In stock” as default but then change once a drop down is selected for size and color that may be out of stock

In that extension it hides options that would result in out of stock simple products being offered to the user.  It probably wouldn’t be that difficult to modify it to show options from out of stock items too, and then show a user an error if they tried to buy it (this error is actually already caught if a product becomes out of stock in-between a user loading the product page and adding a product to their cart, so you’d just need to change the rules for which products are used to generate the product options), but the user experience wouldn’t necessarily be very nice this way I don’t think?

3) on the configurable product show all the individual product images

Presumably you’d want to do this with javascript rather than trying to show them all inline on one page (as there’d could be hundreds of possible simple products per configurable product. ) I’ve not used this but it might be just what you’re after http://inchoo.net/ecommerce/magento/create-a-color-switcher-in-magento/ Also if you look at the js used in my extension you can see it hooks into the events when the drop downs change (eg to update the on-screen price if all options have been chosen) Doing something similar but colour specific and changing the image shouldn’t be too hard I don’t think. Though presumably that colour switcher is doing just that.

Cheers,
Matt

Magento Community
Magento Community

Thanks Matt, ues I meant Configurable, not grouped.

Thus far you extension seems to be a great option for #1 and #2. Anyone looking to do this should check out the extension.

#3b option looks like it may work or work in conjunction with your extension to get it to switch on drop down choice

I am still not sure on #3 in general though, to have all the individual images included in the gallary for the configurable version. Any thoughts on this?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community