Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and Magento

zburnham

Total Posts:  69
Westborough, MA

Red Hat, in its infinite wisdom, has elected not to provide a PHP 5.2.x upgrade package for RHEL 5.  I have one of their support reps on record as saying a 5.2.x package will NEVER be offered for RHEL 5.  We are stuck at 5.1.6 unless we want to build our own packages, and that would eliminate one of the major benefits of having Red Hat support, since if we do that, they will no longer support our PHP installation.  (Red Hat offers a PHP 5.2.x option if you pay for their ‘application stack’, but it’s obscenely expensive.)

Zend Framework requires only PHP 5.1.4.  Are there plans to allow Magento to work with 5.1.x, and if not, why not?  This removes Magento as an option from anyone who’s paid for RHEL 5 and would like PHP support.

We’re ending up having to get our host to build packages for us that we can install both on a local dev server and eventually on our production server.  This is a huge barrier to our evaluation of Magento as a replacement for our current platform.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

Even though ZF states that it supports PHP 5.1.4 we are having some issues with the backward compatibility between PHP 5.2.x and 5.1.4 some of which are stated here: http://us3.php.net/manual/en/migration52.incompatible.php. We will work on making Magento compatible with PHP 5.1.4 unless the ZF team beats us to it wink

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

JoeR

Total Posts:  1

Have you thought about running php 5.2.x as a wrapper/cgi-mod?, technically you’d still be running 5.1.6, I don’t see how RH could dispute a tech support claim.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lkbryant

Total Posts:  60

But if you go with the php5-cgi binary, make sure you have fast-cgi otherwise performance will surely suffer.

Also if you need the latest RPM binaries, i suggest you try jason litka’s repository: http://www.jasonlitka.com/yum-repository/

They have all the latest YUM rpm, including the latest php 5.2.5

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

zburnham - 27 December 2007 07:26 AM

Red Hat, in its infinite wisdom, has elected not to provide a PHP 5.2.x upgrade package for RHEL 5.  I have one of their support reps on record as saying a 5.2.x package will NEVER be offered for RHEL 5.  We are stuck at 5.1.6 unless we want to build our own packages, and that would eliminate one of the major benefits of having Red Hat support, since if we do that, they will no longer support our PHP installation.

It doesn’t sound like they “support” it now.  So what’s the deal with upgrading PHP and having RH say, oh well, we won’t provide any upgrades for you anymore… because they don’t do that now.

I really don’t like RHEL because you always end up in this trap, you’re paying for “support”, but they don’t give you anything, and nobody wants to rock the boat because you’ll lose “support”.  Another thing RHEL doesn’t give you is php-mcrypt and libmcrypt.  So even if RHEL decided to upgrade your install to 5.2.x, it wouldn’t work and you’d be forced with another decision about upgrading and losing support.

I’m not trying to pick on zburnham, i’m trying to let other people know, don’t bother purchasing redhat support unless you’re making a product out of RHEL, like a point-of-sale cash register, or a kiosk somewhere.  It makes no sense to buy it for Web apps, general hosting, etc. etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

retros

Total Posts:  3

for spanish user there is a tutorial for how to configure RHEL 6 winth megento professional, the idea is tha same with Magento CE
the URL is:

http://foros.heiley.com/showthread.php/258-Instalando-Magento-Profesional-en-RHEL-6-PARTE-1
good luck

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community