Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Global “Display product options in” Configuration

nuspace media

Total Posts:  3

I have tried a few searches regarding my concern but haven’t been able to find any answers, so please excuse my request if I missed it somewhere.

When are you are editing a product there is the “Design” feature and one of the options is “Display product options in” and then you have the choice of “Product Info Column” and “Block after Info Column”. (Someone else shows examples in this thread: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/21146/ - pretty much same problem, actually.)

Initially we had “Block after Info Column” selected and entered some 300+ products. As we have refined the design one of the things we wanted to change was to have it display in the “Product Info Column”. I thought there would be a simple global configuration option to change this for ALL products at one time, but didn’t see this and ended up changing it individually for each product.

I think it would be really helpful to add a global feature to change from “Product Info Column” to “Block after Info Column” and vice versa.

(And please excuse me if I missed it, in which case can someone point out to me where it would have been?)

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lemax
Guru

Total Posts:  318
Nantes, France

I have the same on my Magento 1.2.0.1 but I can’t find where to switch this design globaly for the store view.
Did someone find a solution ?
Thanks
Max

Magento Community
Magento Community

dennisCY79

Total Posts:  9

I am wondering the same thing...anyone got anything about this subject ?

Thanks,
D

Magento Community
Magento Community

lemax
Guru

Total Posts:  318
Nantes, France

I found it :
In catalog > manage products. Select all or the ones you want. Action : modify attributes. And select the design you want for your selected items.
Max

Magento Community
Magento Community

dennisCY79

Total Posts:  9

lemax - 14 February 2009 12:48 PM

I found it :
In catalog > manage products. Select all or the ones you want. Action : modify attributes. And select the design you want for your selected items.
Max

Thanks a lot Max ! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paulus
Guru

Total Posts:  335

lemax - 14 February 2009 12:48 PM

I found it :
Max

Hmm, i must be either tired, or an idiot;-)

If we try this, how does this change thát setting? Doesn’t it only change the attribute set? (which we obviously do not want)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tamayo

Total Posts:  33

To change the default value for “Display product options in” under Design, from “Block After Info Column” to “Product Info Column” you will need to edit a database entry. Assuming you are using phpMyAdmin, under eav_attribute look for attribute_code “options_container”. Edit value for field “default_value” from “container2” (corresponds to drop option “Block After Info Column") to “container1” (corresponds to drop option “Product Info Column"). Note: this will only set the default to “Product Info Column” for new products and not update existing product options.

This is on Magento 1.5.1.0. If there is a way to do it from the admin backend, I’d like to know.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Clay S

Total Posts:  15

You can do this globally for all products with a layout update in your theme’s local.xml file.  In my example, I had entered about 500+ products with “Block After Info Column” set.  I wanted to change everything globally to “Product Info Column.” This is the layout update that does it:

<catalog_product_view>
    <
reference name="content">
      <
reference name="product.info">
        <
block type="core/template_facade" name="product.info.container1" as="container1">
            <
action method="setDataByKey"><key>alias_in_layout</key><value>container1</value></action>
            <
action method="setDataByKeyFromRegistry"><key>options_container</key><key_in_registry>product</key_in_registry></action>
            <
action method="append"><block>product.info.options.wrapper</block></action>
            <
action method="append"><block>product.info.options.wrapper.bottom</block></action>
        </
block>
        <
remove name="product.info.container2" />
      </
reference>
    </
reference>
  </
catalog_product_view>
What happens here is that in the parent theme’s catalog.xml file, both container1 and container2 are defined as child blocks of the product.info block, but one is unset based on the value entered in the admin backend for the product.  All I’m doing here is re-adding container1 and forcibly removing container2.

Of course the downside to this is that all products going forward have will get this layout update no matter what value is set for the product in the admin backend, so it’s probably better to do the global attribute edit if it’s available.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JOEL0903

Total Posts:  73

Thought I’d post here to verify that the technique does indeed work.  To change bulk attributes such as changing “Display Product Options In” for multiple products, perform the following actions:

1.  Select the products you want to change the attribute for.
2.  In the Actions Radio Button (next to the Submit button), select Update Attributes
3.  Select the attribute you wish to update and change the value
4.  Submit the Changes Using the button on the form.

This is quite a useful tool, actually.  Reviewing the form, you can change Attributes, Inventory Settings, or Website settings here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JOEL0903

Total Posts:  73

Thought I\’d post here to verify that the technique does indeed work.  To change bulk attributes such as changing \"Display Product Options In\” for multiple products, perform the following actions:

1.  Select the products you want to change the attribute for.
2.  In the Actions Radio Button (next to the Submit button), select Update Attributes
3.  Select the attribute you wish to update and change the value
4.  Submit the Changes Using the button on the form.

This is quite a useful tool, actually.  Reviewing the form, you can change Attributes, Inventory Settings, or Website settings here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

egyweb

Total Posts:  2

Tamayo - 02 May 2011 05:18 PM

To change the default value for “Display product options in” under Design, from “Block After Info Column” to “Product Info Column” you will need to edit a database entry. Assuming you are using phpMyAdmin, under eav_attribute look for attribute_code “options_container”. Edit value for field “default_value” from “container2” (corresponds to drop option “Block After Info Column") to “container1” (corresponds to drop option “Product Info Column"). Note: this will only set the default to “Product Info Column” for new products and not update existing product options.

This is on Magento 1.5.1.0. If there is a way to do it from the admin backend, I’d like to know.

I made the change you suggested to set the ‘Product Info Column’ option as the default. To edit the 300+ products that were already fed to the database, I did a bit of a search in the database and this is the SQL command I executed to update this particular attribute for all products:

UPDATE `catalog_product_entity_varchar` set value= ‘container1’ WHERE entity_type_id=10 AND attribute_id=836

For me, it worked perfectly. I suggest you only use this if you are comfortable exploring the DB.  The reason I could not do a multiple product edit from the backend is that some products have no SKU. ( You can only edit multiple products if they have SKU values set).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community