Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Template System Set in Stone

SeanCulver

Total Posts:  28
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody knows when the templating system will be set in stone, obviously there isn’t such a thing as set in stone, but I am wondering if there are major changes coming up that will effect the way the templating system works in the production release.

I do not want to spend all the effort skinning my site to find out the system has been changed. I realize this is a beta, that said please don’t flame, however the documentation for templating has been released and that makes me believe the templating system is nearly set.

I like all others can’t wait to use the software but don’t want to jump the gun.

For those who will respond “The software is in beta, wait until its in production version” need not reply as it doesn’t answer my question.

Cheers

Sean

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

You are right to assume that the templating system is almost complete. Any changes from now on are expected to be minor. Please be advised that with that said, and as you your self stated, the product is still in beta and as such we cannot guarantee that this is the final version of the templating system.

I hope this helps

thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

SeanCulver

Total Posts:  28
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Thanks for the response, thats what I wanted to know. 

Will there be any other pre-production releases or is the next release the production version? (i guess thats a totally different question)

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

we are going to have some more minor releases (one of which is expected any time now;)) and at least one release candidate before the stable version.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

rivella

Total Posts:  8

Why don’t you use Smarty as a Templating System for Magento?

cu
rivella

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@rivella: to avoid a situation when all the fans of all the templating engines would gang on us and ask why we didn’t choose their favorite one, we have found a neutral solution and used PHP language itself as it was intended to be used - a templating engine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

Moshe - 28 December 2007 01:15 AM

we ... used PHP language itself as it was intended to be used - a templating engine.

Hooray excaim

Magento Community
Magento Community

opalu

Total Posts:  8
seabush, germany

i love this decision – beside many others!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Josue4ever

Total Posts:  138
Mexico DF

A template sistem must be a priority i think.  I also dont want to learn the actual sistem because in the future all change.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

kameko.rouge

Total Posts:  58

rivella - 28 December 2007 01:01 AM

Why don’t you use Smarty as a Templating System for Magento?

cu
rivella

consider me gone if smarty were ever implemented. barf.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Julian Moors

Total Posts:  5

Moshe - 28 December 2007 01:15 AM

@rivella: to avoid a situation when all the fans of all the templating engines would gang on us and ask why we didn’t choose their favorite one, we have found a neutral solution and used PHP language itself as it was intended to be used - a templating engine.

I like the sound of that Moshe.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gamelodge

Total Posts:  89
Brisbane, Qld, Australia

we ... used PHP language itself as it was intended to be used - a templating engine.

Finally some common sense! - why building a template language on top a template language!

great stuff guys!!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community