Magento Forum

Magento Connect Unreliable

primordialsoup

Total Posts:  9

I’ve been extremely frustrated trying to use Magento Connect to upgrade my installations. I’m trying to figure out what I can do differently, but it always seems to be the case that the upgrades are incomplete and odd issues pop up all over the admin and the sites. This has been my experience over the past 1-2 years of using Magento. It’s been suggested that using the downloader for the initial install avoids problems caused by manual installation followed by using Connect to upgrade. Can anyone attest to this? What is the most reliable method for installing and upgrading Magento?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Rhonda_Rondeau
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  924
Culver City

primordialsoup77 - 09 March 2011 08:39 AM

I’ve been extremely frustrated trying to use Magento Connect to upgrade my installations. I’m trying to figure out what I can do differently, but it always seems to be the case that the upgrades are incomplete and odd issues pop up all over the admin and the sites. This has been my experience over the past 1-2 years of using Magento. It’s been suggested that using the downloader for the initial install avoids problems caused by manual installation followed by using Connect to upgrade. Can anyone attest to this? What is the most reliable method for installing and upgrading Magento?

Hi there,

What are you trying to upgrade from/to?

Rhonda

Magento Community
Magento Community

primordialsoup

Hi, thanks for your reply. At this point, I’m not really looking for help with a specific technical problem covering a specific version transition. Each time I upgrade one of my Magento installs, I end up having the described types of issues and bouncing around forums looking for patches and workarounds. What I would like to know is, is this simply a fact of life using Magento? Or are there people who have consistent, seamless upgrade experiences using Magento Connect or some other upgrade method? I’m really trying to address the question of whether the difficult upgrades and associated costs are worth sticking with Magento for it’s level of abstraction and multi-store management features, or whether it would be better to migrate to a different tool with more straightforward and reliable upgrade options. I realize there may not be an easy answer to this question, but I figured I would ask if anyone has any insight on this subject.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rhonda_Rondeau
Enthusiast

Culver City

Well, that’s a question I’m asking as well. I know people upgrade different ways. I know people use FTP and SSH. I know there are a lot of complaints about MCM.  It seems that depending on what you have installed, along with other factors—it can be problematic. 

Have you tried upgrading other ways?

Magento Community
Magento Community

primordialsoup

I haven’t yet tried managing upgrades “manually” through FTP or ssh yet, but would consider that for sure if it would prove more reliable. The initial installs I usually do using wget, extraction, and then the web-based setup utility. This usually goes off without a hitch.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rhonda_Rondeau
Enthusiast

Culver City

primordialsoup77 - 09 March 2011 01:21 PM

I haven’t yet tried managing upgrades “manually” through FTP or ssh yet, but would consider that for sure if it would prove more reliable. The initial installs I usually do using wget, extraction, and then the web-based setup utility. This usually goes off without a hitch.

Here’s a really good post from one of our forum moderators Ben from Blue Acorn:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/214690/P15/#t295309

I’m hoping to soon officially document all the other ways of upgrading Magento wink

Rhonda

Magento Community
Magento Community

primordialsoup

The link above is broken (extra http://), here\’s another one in case anyone else wants to check it out:

Upgrade thread

I think we\’re going to forgo Connect and start doing ssh/FTP upgrades as in that thread. We\’ve got a backup policy in place and the template customizations are per Magento\’s theming guidelines, so we should be good to go on that front.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community