Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
New European e-Privacy laws…

Rich Cleverley

Total Posts:  285

John - 25 April 2012 07:10 AM

I agree that this seems to be leading the world but I have got to say if it makes use stop and think and look at what info we are storing and tracking about our customers then it’s doing the correct thing. 

We track customers because we want to not because the customer has asked up to and at the end of the day if the customer does not want us to track them , in the same way we allow guest checkout, then we need to respect that.

I have had to do an audit of the cookie use and it’s hard to explain why we want the information into a customer page. 

Thanks for 1.7 - feature there before I asked - Always the best way.

Regards
John

I do agree with you John but I think the problem we face is that information on what we should do especially with analytics is so muddled.  The government (UK) state this:

The consensus was, especially in the case of first-party analytics cookies, these types of cookies are “minimally intrusive” (in line with the ICO guidance) and that the bulk of our efforts to rationalise our use of cookies should be focused on cookies classified as “moderately intrusive”.

http://digital.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/2012/03/19/its-not-about-cookies-its-about-privacy/

Which leads me to think they are saying don’t worry too much about analytics tracking.

Another article that reiterates this can be found here: http://www.lynchpin.com/blog/government’s-digital-service-takes-bite-cookie-law (sorry can’t get the url to work properly because of the single quote in it)

I am seriously considering writing an extension that offers different options on blocking cookie setting and tracking what has been selected by the site visitor so if anyone has any ideas of what they would like to see then please PM me.  We are all in the same boat on this (in that we don’t really know what is going to be enforced) so I think having different options has to be the way forward.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

Actually, just read this http://www.lynchpin.com/blog/WAW%20and%20ICO%20Meet which states that analytics cookies are most certainly not going to be exempt so I think we need to seriously get something put in place.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dolestar

Total Posts:  41

here in lies the problem really, so much conflicting information - including from the very rule makers themselves.

Im keeping a close eye on our competitors (as im sure many of you are) and so far they’ve done nothing.  Im certainly not going to put ourselves at an operational disadvantage.  I know its totally the wrong attitude to have; “well they havent done it” but Im still bewildered that online marketing and performance monitoring in its current form is about to be obliterated.

Exactly a month to go - here’s to the good old days!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

Not sure if anyone else has seen this http://www.international-chamber.co.uk/blog/2012/04/02/launch-of-icc-uk-cookie-guide/ but it was pointed out to me today and is really useful.  Check out the BT has implemented their cookie policy, really good and simple to understand for the consumer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dolestar

good link Rich. 

From doing a bit of reading on previous ICO legislation, if they\’re potency is anything to go by, we dont have much to worry about.  For example is the 03 revisions we were all supposed to offer users to be able to opt out of cookies - um… fail for me! and 99% of sites ive used.

in the 98 revisions we were suposed to not pre-tick signup boxes in forms.... um… fail for me and 99% of sites ive used.

I think we\’ll be alright ya know smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich Cleverley

The ICO themselves aren’t who I’m mostly worried about to be honest (although I’m certainly not ignoring them).  I think the media is who we should be concerned with.  The BBC have already published info on this law in ‘simple’ consumer language and it wouldn’t surprise me if papers such as the Daily Mail start worrying people.  Once public awareness of the regulations, regardless how much is actually understood, starts to rise then retailers could find themselves at the end of bad publicity.  In the end, we are finding it not that easy to understand the implications; how teh general public are meant to make informed choices is beyond me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dolestar

i couldn\’t agree more (in fact i think i said almost as much in an earlier post lol).

lets see what the next few weeks bring.  Catastrophe or a storm in an E-cup?.

Magento Community
Magento Community

elfling
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  901

Totally against this ridiculous law, would rather move to servers outside of the EU domain (and we’re not the only ones) to avoid the stupidity of the regulations. Watched the presentation by the ICO on the new law and it is beyond stupid, seem to have no actual understanding of it when they had their question and anwser session.

Another money making scheme that will render web sites very tedious as I’ve already come to discover.

“have you checked your cookie settings yet”, “why yes I have, thank you for being so thoughtful”
“hold on, looks like your on a new website within the EU… Have you checked your cookie settings yet"...."Yes, I did this on the last site”
“ooo, another new website...Checked the cookie settings yet?"..."F*ck off and die, time to use google.com”

Magento Community
Magento Community

creativemgroup

Total Posts:  7
UK & USA

We have developed the Silktide JS method into a FREE module for those who are interested

Magento - EU Cookie Module

Magento Community
Magento Community

meia

Total Posts:  19

Does this new ‘law’ only applies to us in the EU, in other words our software resides on servers within the EU? What happens to business who’s software doe not reside within the EU, but sell in the EU?  Does the new rule apply to them too?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tigor

Total Posts:  31

Hi creativemgroup,

Thanks for this module. I am looking into it at the moment. Would be great if you could provide more details about what it does and how to set up on your own Magento Store.

Will try this out on a local server and perhaps come back with results later.

Magento Community
Magento Community

creativemgroup

UK & USA

As standard, it changes the function of the Google Analytics output. So that no information is sent to Google analytics until cookies are accepted.

Here you can find out how to make your social and advertising compliant.

Click For How To Guide

All pretty simple, basically it stop javascript for firing up until the cookies have been accepted. The user may choose not to accept the advertising JS, which would render all advertising on the site mute, but allow for social and tracking to occur.

We’ve just updated the code to improve support for IE.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DavidJClaxton

Total Posts:  37
Norwich, United Kingdom

I’m having problems with your module on my client’s 1.4 install.

In the back-end, the ‘EU Cookie Law’ menu option returns an empty, blank page. If I then change the ‘Configuration Scope’ I just get ‘Access Denied’ where I would expect your module’s options to appear.

With your module enabled, the website doesn’t load except for your ‘Privacy Settings’ button bottom right.  When your module is disabled, your button still appears, but the website loads.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Magento Community
Magento Community

creativemgroup

UK & USA

For the access denied, this would be a case of log out and log back in again to allow for the new permissions to take hold for accessing the configuration.

Can you download the latest version of the module (if not already) as it sounds like it maybe a JS problem, in that it was missing a comma.

Using the latest version should clear up the website load problem. As for the disabling, I need to have a rethink on this, because it only disables the setting that the site is using cookies.

DavidJClaxton - 22 May 2012 04:08 AM

I’m having problems with your module on my client’s 1.4 install.

In the back-end, the ‘EU Cookie Law’ menu option returns an empty, blank page. If I then change the ‘Configuration Scope’ I just get ‘Access Denied’ where I would expect your module’s options to appear.

With your module enabled, the website doesn’t load except for your ‘Privacy Settings’ button bottom right.  When your module is disabled, your button still appears, but the website loads.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Magento Community
Magento Community

dolestar

so as predicted by many of us, an eleventh hour (well, 24 hours) rewrite was chucked in that saved our bacon - implied consent will suffice - ie by using our site, you agree for us to use cookies.

more money well spent there ICO. genius, but thank the lord you backed down.

For anyone who has implemented an ugly popup, id really recommend removing it - its not necessary and is a known consumer turn off.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2