Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento locks up entire server

heaje

Total Posts:  3

I’m having a strange issue where Magento will freeze/lock up my entire server.  Only a hard reboot will bring the server back.  This occurs when various things happen in Magento.  It can simply be when it’s installing itself through the downloader.  To get around that problem, I downloaded the whole package.  Now it happens right after the install is finished.  Other times it happened when saving changes in the admin piece.  Needless to say, I can’t use Magento if it kills my server at random times.  Other websites (PHP) work just great and don’t cause this same problem.  Here’s a brief overview of the server.

Web Server: Apache 2.2.9
MySQL: 5.0.60 (separate server)
VMware Virtual Machine (running on ESX Server)

Magento runs in a virtual host with the following settings:

php_value include_path <stuff_to_include>
php_admin_value open_basedir <root_of_site>
RewriteEngine On (Even with this off, Magento freezes)

If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be great.  I’ve been trying to figure this out for roughly a week now.  Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

Can you please list your server hardware?

Magento Community
Magento Community

heaje

The physical hardware is:

HP Proliant DL380 G5
2 x Intel Xeon 5440 (Quad Core) (8 cores total)
32 GB RAM
4 x 146 GB 10k rpm hard drives in RAID 10

The virtual machine is a development server and has:

1 vCPU
2 GB RAM
50 GB Disk space

Apache is the only service running on the virtual machine, so I can’t believe lack of memory is the problem.  There’s plenty of free memory.  Thanks for the help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

Well, with that server hardware, performance should be no issue.. It must be something else that is wrong. Which process(es) counts for most of the CPU/memory usage when your server freezes? httpd? mysql? If you can post the output of the ‘top’ command, it might help to identify the problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

heaje

I don’t have the output of top at this point, but I do have a couple of interesting things to note.

First, our monitoring solution (Zabbix) that we use does not show any anomalies in it’s graphs up to the point that the server freezes (cpu normal, process count normal, memory normal, etc).

Second, I just tested Magento on a different virtual machine and it works without freezing.  The other virtual machine is running the same OS, but has 2 vCPU and 4 GB of ram.  This makes it sound like a server problem, but it’s still strange.  In any case, I think some more troubleshooting is in order before I can 100% say that Magento is causing the problem.  Thanks for the help though.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community