Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Trouble with Customizing sidebar on the Front Page

jimmypalmer

Total Posts:  79

I’m using the modern theme and I am trying to add some a front-page-specific sidebar menu stuff.  I would also like to remove the cart and compare products boxes just on the home page.

In CMS > Manage Pages > Home > Custom Design - xml it seems like I should be able to add and take out certain blocks of code, but it doesn’t change anything. 

Why wouldn’t this be working?  How would I go about customizing these things?

thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Webkrebse

Total Posts:  40
Germany

I’m wondering how to customize the start page, too. Did you get any hints?

--- Thanks ---

Magento Community
Magento Community

adsjflkj89j

Total Posts:  52

Since you want it just on the home page:

1) Set home page as “1 column” in CMS
2) Create table in your design software (dreamweaver, frontpage..)
3) Add all the stuff you want (2 columns)
4) Copy the code to the cms home page…

Another option is to create a the design you want on a html document, upload to you server, create an iFrame, paste the code into your CMS home page

You don’t have to mess with the core code now… You can also create a flash presentation and embed it (dont forget to add wmode="transparent” and ‘wmode’,’transparent’ to html embed code)

Hope this helps.

Namaste

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community