Magento Forum

European VAT

RoyB

Total Posts:  6
Carrbridge, Scotland

Does Go support European VAT (I can not see any reference in the documentation)? i.e. retail prices to include VAT with VAT element shown in invoice, and option to remove VAT if for export and customer inputs their VAT registration number.

Thanks,

Roy

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

doug1

Total Posts:  22

Hi Roy -

Thanks for your interest in Magento Go.

Right now, you can setup a customer group that has no tax applied.  When those customers login, they will see prices adjusted to reflect the tax rules that apply to them.

The process of validating the VAT registration numbers would currently need to be done offline.  The validation of VAT registration numbers is an enhancement that will be added in the future.

Once the VAT registration number is validated, the customer can be added to the customer group described above.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyB

Carrbridge, Scotland

Thanks Doug.

If we ignore the export VAT issue for now (but make almost useless for European market without so hope will be priority feature).

If I sell a product for 60 GBP the VAT is included in the price shown at 20% (i.e. 50 GBP + 20% = 60 GBP). In Europe we must show all retail sales prices including VAT (but does not apply to trade sales) and show the VAT element of the total amount on the invoice, so the invoice page and order email needs to say:

“order total 60 GBP
includes 20% VAT = 10 GBP”

Can Go do this? If not, it will not be compliant for VAT purposes.

Thanks,

Roy

Magento Community
Magento Community

doug1

Total Posts:  22

Hi Roy -

There are actually a large number of European customers using the different versions of Magento.

There are settings in System Configuration -> Sales -> Tax that allows you to control how prices are displayed in the Catalog, in the Cart, in Orders, in Invoices.  These can be configured to display prices"Excluding Tax” or “Including Tax”.  You can also control the text that is displayed based on what Tax rate is being applied.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyB

Carrbridge, Scotland

Thanks Doug, I think that answers my question. I could not see such settings from the manual. I realise the ‘non-Go’ Magento supports European VAT. I will set up a trial store and advise if any issues.

Cheers,

Roy

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community