Magento Forum

How would you go about setting up the staging area on seperate site. NEED HELP! 

Kasilyn

Total Posts:  1

So the issue is my new boss does not want to have the staging area on the current machine, he wants a separate staging area. I am sure that someone has performed this successfully smile I would think it should emphasis on should be as easy as moving all file and changing the core_config_data to point to the staging site. Is there anything else that could be added to help me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

Here is an excellent step by step tutorial:
http://www.crucialwebhost.com/blog/setting-up-a-magento-staging-area/

In my experience, the big thing is to turn off and empty the cache and session directories before doing anything.
When files and db are copied, you can turn the cache back on on the main store.

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

Hello,

Copying a Magento store can be a picky process depending on how you approach it. You really only need two things: your files and your database.

Copy the files to a new domain, and dump the database, and import it into a separate database.

Once complete, update the Magento base URL settings in your database’s core_config_data table.

To make sure new extension installations don’t break the store, remove downloader/pearlib/pear.ini OR if you are familiar with SSH, run:

./pear mage-setup .

From the document root.

Finally, remove var/cache and var/session and you should be all set!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ben Marks

Total Posts:  452
Charleston, SC

...And don’t forget to disable payment methods, email notifications, analytics, etc. as appropriate.

There are some points, commands, and a general rant here which you can use: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/12all/admin/cron_pop.php/viewthread/214690/P15/#t295309

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community