Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Simple question on payment gateway - please help- desperate! 

rosstqz

Total Posts:  2

Hi

I have trawled through the forums here and struggled to find an answer to a question which I am sure is common knowledge to people around here.  I don’t trust my developer to give me the whole truth, so here goes.

I have just started up my website and have paypal integration (standard) but also have a webform to process CC payments manually in Magento (standard so far).

I want to automate the onsite CC processing, but am overwhelmed by all the different products out there- I haven’t even made a sale yet so I just want something easy and cheap for now.

Is it possible for paypal to use the standard webform and process the payment without shelling out for the payflow system, which looks quite expensive?  Is there a way to utilise PayPal Website Payments Standard for this purpose?

Alternatively, i now see the banks have their own systems (I wasn’t previously aware of this) such as St George’s IPG https://www.ipg.stgeorge.com.au/default.asp.  Are these any good?  It looks like they take you off-site, which is sub-optimal.

If someone can please lay it out for me a little bit I would be forever grateful.  I will even give you some free legal advice if you like!

Thanks so much

Ross

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

Hi Ross,
I’m far from an expert on this stuff, but here are some thoughts:

Paypal is PayPal and you are stuck with what they offer for the price they offer you.
If you want a more streamlined system that doesn’t leave your store, then investigate whatever payment gateways your bank offers - assuming that there is a module for Magento for it.
For example, I’m with Bankwest, and I use the Ezyway gateway. It allows safe transactions without the customer leaving your store.

Yes, these solution do cost, but you don’t really have many alternatives if you want to accept CC payments.
I would offer a word of warning about taking ‘saved transactions’ and processing them manually. Personally, if I was a customer and I knew a site was handling CC payments in that manner, I would run a mile. The security implications are scary.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

rosstqz

Total Posts:  2

Hi mate

Thanks for the reply- It’s becoming clear that we will have to suck it up or send people offsite to paypal.  I think we will do both in the reverse order.

I do very much appreciate the response. 

All the best

Ross

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chrisop

Total Posts:  33

Hi there,

Im just in the process right now,

I have decided to go with bankwest and with Eway.

Yes your right there, there are many option here. I bank with bankwest and im very happy with there support .

Eway seem good so far and their support has been great too.

I will let you know how i go if you like. if i have any troubles along the way.

With paypal, i was over the fees as they soon do add up very quick, yes its easy to use but i have a few clients ring with cc numbers as they dont like paypal, and when leaving your site they dont like it. I use to get errors sometime / drop outs with paypal.

Hope this helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chrisop

Total Posts:  33

Hi Guys,

Ok i have it all set up and its running well.

i have left paypal on so i dont turn away customers,

Bank west were great to deal with and always got back to me quickly.

Eway sales are great. they got back to me and were great.

Eway IT support on the other hand i found not the best. They claim to have “ Get Exceptional 24/7 Support” if you work after hours like myself. Dont expect a email reply until the next day after 9am.

In the end it was all sorted and im happy with who i went with.

Regards
Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community