Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Need help Problem to customise each category and sub category… is it a bug? 

brunovaillant

Total Posts:  12
Singapore

whithout any reply from my first post regarding layered navigation and cms block , I reiterate my problem .

1- As I have created category and subcategory with a layered navigation . I can’t see how to customized each of my category and subcategory . as in admin we have the choice to add description and custom design but it does not seem to be working . or only one design (which is from the top category will be always repeated on my sub category which i does not want as I need to have a static block customised for each of my subcategory )

2- I have tried most of the possibilities including anchor or not (but i do not think its related )

3- i believed its eitheir me who has not understand how it works (which I hope ) or its a big flaw for magento, as when you create your subcategory you still have the menu choice of customised it!!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

brunovaillant, everything you need to customized regarding layout, look and feel and your specific design choice is in the phtml files, and css too.

Use the template path hints(in the admin > configuration, then choose your store (english, default or your store name depending on your setting) under the “Current COnfiguration Scope”, then go to “Developer” under the “Advanced”, then choose “Yes” for “Template Path Hints") to discover what block belongs to which phtml file, and its location.

Can’t figure if you are a web designer or just a business owner who wishes to setup his/her own online store with magento, but this advice applies:

1) Spend a week or so on forum, wiki as well as knowledge base, designer’s guide and study a bit of the xml and phtml files before you get your hands dirty with Magento if you haven’t already don e so
2) Unlearn what you have learned from other cart system, CMS.

To customize Magento, CSS and design skill come in very handy (compulsory!!!!) and you will actually realize this eCommerce system is so powerful and flexible that you can almost do any kind of layout /design you could possilbly do with your creativity.  Lastly, I don’t need to tell you to install Web Devloper (Fifrefox), Dragonfly (Opera) or Webkit utility (Safari) if you are a web designer smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

brunovaillant

Singapore

Dear chinesedream,

Thanks for your reply.  It was most helpful.

My problem with magento is when I set a category to a landing page, (display mode: static block only) the filtered layer navigation on the side doesn’t return products accordingly. It seems that only setting display mode= products only will the layered navigation work correctly.

How do I resolve this? How do I set a category to static block and have the layered navigation at the side working like it should?

thanks loads.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brunovaillant

Singapore

to chinesedream

look at this discussion , it seems that I am correct in what I am saying , I am not the only one and magento team rarely if never answer on this matter .

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/13217/

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Hi brunovaillant, there is a ‘static block and product’ option for display mode.

re the thread you posted, I am aware of it. The questions other have addressed, in my opinion, is a subjective design/layout decision and a bit of concern with SEO. Whether layered nav feature is good or not-so-perfect feature, depends on one’s needs. But that is not a bug.

golles had made some very good suggestion though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brunovaillant

Singapore

thanks for your comments ,

if i understand what happen on what I want to achieve with magento, its not possible.
Means that I can’t with the admin add a distinctive description on each of my category and sub-category which is why I saw all actual online website using magento with only a very simple display of product listing during category search and result navigation from sub category.

what I have been trying to to achieve with magento its to have ability of the viewwer of my website to have an explanation of each my sub category which are all different .

I hope I will found the solution for that if you do n ot have already yet , because I found magent very good for its marketing and process for online ecommerce

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community