Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
External Full Page Cache Settings

Dx3webs

Total Posts:  178

I notice in Admin > System > Config > System there is now an option called \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"External Full Page Cache Settings\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\”

I cant find a single reference to it any where.. anyone know what this does? or more to the point.. if it works?

Magento ver. 1.5.0.1

cheers
Andy

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Bing Dicklepuss

Total Posts:  91

No idea, but it would be great to know.

I tried searching Google, but as usual I came up with no pertinent information on Magento.

It’s amazing that the Magento team doesn’t even put out the barest explanation of new features for each new version of Magento.  I suppose that is probably because the coders are outsourced to the Philippines and don’t speak English very well (if at all).  That is certainly economical, but not very user-friendly.

Can’t they hire at least one or two people who understand the code developments AND speak/write English well?

Magento Community
Magento Community

CT Schubert

Total Posts:  197
Southern California

Hah! Finally someone else noticed this. I too would love to know what this feature is for.

My guess would be that if you are on a host that has some sort of caching system enabled like eAccelerator for PHP that this feature somehow takes advantage of that. But I could be wrong!

I turned it on for a few stores and did notice that once I did, a button appeared in the System -> Cache Management at the very bottom for Full External Page Cache

Magento Community
Magento Community

ORIGO Web

Total Posts:  6
Georgia

Quickly looking at the code, it seems that enabling this option allows one to catch a rendered page and pass it to a controller. The controller can save the html response on disk, ram, memcache and possibly bypass the whole Mage framework, for better throughput.

Although, the only external controller is Zend Page Cache, which is available on Zend Server. Unless you are running Mage on Zend Server, this option seems useless. Yes, it adds a button “Flush External Page Cache”, but all it does is calling “page_cache_remove_all_cached_contents()” which is part of the Zend Page Cache - PHP API.

Magento Community
Magento Community

xinhaozheng

Total Posts:  107

This should be the feature i am looking for.
with full page cache ,the website could be as fast as static webstie,good for seo and user browse.

Magento Community
Magento Community

the3tree

Total Posts:  7
Everywhere

Bing Dicklepuss - 22 February 2011 05:25 PM

I tried searching Google, but as usual I came up with no pertinent information on Magento.

It’s amazing that the Magento team doesn’t even put out the barest explanation of new features for each new version of Magento.  I suppose that is probably because the coders are outsourced to the Philippines and don’t speak English very well (if at all).  That is certainly economical, but not very user-friendly.

Can’t they hire at least one or two people who understand the code developments AND speak/write English well?

Haha!.. I would also like to know.. . how it’s working.. could not find.. any references..!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mgt_commerce

Total Posts:  66

Hi guys,
for the new full page cache method in magento you need the Zend Server but who wants to use a Zend Server ? smile
I think apache2 or nginx is the better solution for the community smile

We developed a very fast full page cache module for magento, you don’t need a Zend Server or something like that smile

URL: http://fullpagecache.mgt-modules.com/

Best regards,
Stefan

Magento Community
Magento Community

diglin

Total Posts:  93
Zurich - Switzerland

@stefan: could it be possible to share your module ?

I built a free module to minify/compress css and js by using YUICompressor, Google Minify, JSMin CSSTidy and others php libraries. People can decide themselves which library fit him. It’s completely configurable.: User Interface Optimization - JS/CSS Minify

thanks
regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

headros

Total Posts:  54

I can give you a few advantages of using Zend Server. 

-RDBS
-Cluster Management
-Notifications when cluster node configuration is out of sync
-Java connector
-Debugger interface
-Application monitoring

stefan.wieczorek - 25 April 2011 01:29 AM

Hi guys,
for the new full page cache method in magento you need the Zend Server but who wants to use a Zend Server ? smile
I think apache2 or nginx is the better solution for the community smile

We developed a very fast full page cache module for magento, you don’t need a Zend Server or something like that smile

URL: http://fullpagecache.mgt-modules.com/

Best regards,
Stefan

Magento Community
Magento Community

nidesing

Total Posts:  5

Bing Dicklepuss - 22 February 2011 05:25 PM

Bing Dicklepuss,
offtop: i’ve spent many months in the Philippines, worked with local developers there and I was pleasantly surprised how good their English is:) also call centers booming around..
I dont know why they didnt explained that stuff about External Cache though, im trying to figure out myself

Magento Community
Magento Community

alexandrepiel

Total Posts:  1

I just wrote an article about caching: http://blog.alexparadise.com/magento-caching-apc-eaccelerator-memcached-files-sqlite-vanish-whats-the-happen/

Now I am, working on it. After what may be I will put on GitHub my code, let’s see.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Extendware

Total Posts:  231

That option is for the zend server. To use full page caching without a zend server you need our Full Page Cache Magento Extension, which is even better than using the zend server. Try out the demo and you can see.

Magento Community
Magento Community

satish
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  812
34,mantri Sadan,Shivaji Nagar,Nagpur,MS,India 4400

There is no Full page caching for community version.
Magento enterprise version has that.

Satish

Magento Community
Magento Community

Itchy

Total Posts:  26
UK

Another Switch On Magento CE that does nothing then...? Full Page Cache Enable???

I’m sure they put all this dry ice n mirrors in their to confuse us all…

Magento Community
Magento Community

gordonlesti

Total Posts:  12

I build a internal full page-cache Lesti::Fpc. It works only with Zend File-Cache and is open source. Maybe you want to try it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cavamondo

Total Posts:  89

gordonlesti - 07 December 2012 09:28 AM

I build a internal full page-cache Lesti::Fpc. It works only with Zend File-Cache and is open source. Maybe you want to try it.

The plugin works real well on a couple of sites ive got - but at on one of the sites, the plugin throws a: Mage registry key _singleton/fpc/observer” already exists error ..

please advice if possible ^^

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3