Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to import images in 1.5.1? 

SDFANTINI

Total Posts:  30

SD.FANTINI - 31 May 2011 06:41 AM

gammafx - 24 March 2011 04:58 PM
Upgraded to Magento ver. 1.5.1.0-beta1 - the issue still persists. However, there is a workaround now… You can create a new import profile just for images and bring them in separately.  To do so follow the steps below:

go to System > Import/Export > Dataflow - Profiles.
Click Add New Profile.
Setup a profile and select NO for “Original Magento attribute names in first row” (see attached screenshot)
Map the fields to the ones in your CSV
Save and Run the profile with your CSV

As long as the product is already imported the image CSV can just have a sku, image, thumbnail, small_image fields.

If the product does not exist, you’ll get an error on that line.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi, i have done a new profile following your indication. so after i run the “new” import without images i just wait for the product to be imported. after this, i go to import profiles and run the new created profile with csv like you have attached.

i although get an error :

SKIP IMPORT ROW, IS NOT VALID VALUE “” for field “type”

..but i have no field called “type”

here are all my screenshots.

is there somethint that i miss?

also, do you kindly have a hack to disable duplicate image creation during import? if i run import 3 times, Magento 1.5.0.1 will triplicate the images in forlders!!

thank you
Simone

anyone please..could someone reply?

thank you
simone

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tbradley22

Total Posts:  45

SD.FANTINI - 06 June 2011 04:36 AM

Upgraded to Magento ver. 1.5.1.0-beta1 - the issue still persists. However, there is a workaround now… You can create a new import profile just for images and bring them in separately.  To do so follow the steps below:

Click Add New Profile.
Setup a profile and select NO for “Original Magento attribute names in first row” (see attached screenshot)

As long as the product is already imported the image CSV can just have a sku, image, thumbnail, small_image fields.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi, i have done a new profile following your indication. so after i run the “new” import without images i just wait for the product to be imported. after this, i go to import profiles and run the new created profile with csv like you have attached.

also, do you kindly have a hack to disable duplicate image creation during import? if i run import 3 times, Magento 1.5.0.1 will triplicate the images in forlders!!

thank you
Simone

thank you
simone

same issue. anyone? i’m using 1.5.1.0. thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SDFANTINI

i have imported products with new import/export tool : ok

refresh cache and index rebuild : ok

gammafx import profile : OK!!

so i guess i was missing cache&index;refresh

anyway now with 1.5.1.0 i need 1 csv to upload products and 1 csv to upload & assign pictures. very boring :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tacgear

Total Posts:  52

tbradley22 - 11 June 2011 09:01 AM

Click Add New Profile.

Hope this helps someone.

thank you
Simone

thank you
simone

Yes Please! for the love of god! Why does magento even create duplicate images in the first place. I see no benefit to having image_1_1_13.jpg
image-a_1_1_13.jpg
image-b_1_1_13.jpg.
All it does is take up more space and make changing images via ftp almost impossible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

redden

Total Posts:  3

tbradley22 - 11 June 2011 09:01 AM

Click Add New Profile.

Hope this helps someone.

thank you
Simone

thank you
simone

I removed the field names(’sku’, ‘image2’, etc...) from the top of the CSV file and it seemed to fix the “SKIP IMPORT ROW, IS NOT VALID VALUE “” for field “type"” error.  Images are placed in the /media/import folder. Hope that helps.

EDIT: This fix is for the ‘Skip import row...’ error. It has nothing to with the duplication of images.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SDFANTINI

So, how do we fix the duplicate image issue?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tbradley22

Total Posts:  45

Hi,

I upgraded to 1.6.0.0-beta1 because I saw that they’d listed “Fixed Images not Imported” in the release notes. After the upgrade, importing images still didn’t work.... very disappointing. So I have gammafx’s fix another try and this time it worked!

The only problem then was that the categories of all of the products were removed. So I reimported my initial master spreadsheet and that gave the products the right categories but removed the images again.

Anyways, the lesson learned was that after importing the images using the dataflow profiles method, you can reimport the products to get your categories back but FIRST remove the images columns from your master spreadsheet.

Thanks gammafx and everyone.

Ted

-----
www.mbstrategic.com/ecommerce

Magento Community
Magento Community

SDFANTINI

tbradley22 - 19 June 2011 09:43 AM

Hi,

I upgraded to 1.6.0.0-beta1 because I saw that they’d listed “Fixed Images not Imported” in the release notes. After the upgrade, importing images still didn’t work.... very disappointing. So I have gammafx’s fix another try and this time it worked!

The only problem then was that the categories of all of the products were removed. So I reimported my initial master spreadsheet and that gave the products the right categories but removed the images again.

Anyways, the lesson learned was that after importing the images using the dataflow profiles method, you can reimport the products to get your categories back but FIRST remove the images columns from your master spreadsheet.

Ted

-----
www.mbstrategic.com/ecommerce

oh no! please don’t tell me so

ok people, we need to test 1.6beta to confirm image issue is still there or not..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bing Dicklepuss

Total Posts:  91

tbradley22 - 19 June 2011 09:43 AM

Hi,

Ted

Ted, it sounds like you are including too many columns in your import.  Are you sure you didn’t import a blank “_category” column in your import?  That would have replaced your existing categories with blank values.  If all you wanted to do was update images, then you should have included only the necessary columns:  the ‘sku’ column and the image columns.  No category column necessary.

Then you wiped out your images.  I suppose your import file contained all the category information, but with blank image columns.  If you had just deleted those image columns from that import file, the existing image paths wouldn’t have been overwritten with your blank column data.

Takeaway:  when importing/updating, ONLY include the columns you are updating.  If you include column headers with a blank column beneath them, you are overwriting any existing information with “NULL” values.

Magento Community
Magento Community

econdan

Total Posts:  3

tried it with magento 1.6 rc1 and is images are not importing.
tried the above solution but still have not succeed..

i found that the images are created after the import at the correct directory e.g /i/m/img.jpg but are not appearing at the backend,
does the message “Image type and information need to be specified for each store view.” at the product image has to do with that?
any help is welcome

Magento Community
Magento Community

seiya

Total Posts:  85
Vienna

tried a fresh installation of 1.6.0-rc2 but images still NOT working :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paul-xib

Total Posts:  116
The Netherlands

Found a solution for this problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

seiya - 13 July 2011 03:22 AM

Image import is working fine with Magento 1.6.0-rc2 for me. I can import multiple images per product and assign them as well. Perhaps you should do a test export of some products with images to see the correct format.

Also, make sure you are using the new import/export not the old dataflow.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

@jackson45 - I suspect that you represent the qubesys service you are recommending. All your posts look like spam and say the same thing. Not the best way to get respect on these forums.

If you continue, I will report your account.

Magento Community
Magento Community

samshuai

Total Posts:  114
China

Ross - 21 July 2011 11:51 PM

seiya - 13 July 2011 03:22 AM

Image import is working fine with Magento 1.6.0-rc2 for me. I can import multiple images per product and assign them as well. Perhaps you should do a test export of some products with images to see the correct format.

Also, make sure you are using the new import/export not the old dataflow.

you used media/import ???

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community