Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is it hard? 

lolage

Total Posts:  1

How hard is it to actually customise the template your given? I know design but not any html/css.

Also.. what am i supposed to download?

The top one? Or the bottom, then the top? Im confused.

http://www.lolage.co.uk/download.jpg

Please help? smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

minboost

Total Posts:  12
global

lolage - 03 November 2008 08:55 AM

How hard is it to actually customise the template your given? I know design but not any html/css.

If you don’t know any html or css, don’t expect your site to look much different from whichever template you choose to install. I wouldn’t even bother trying to make any significant design changes yourself, unless you know html, css, xml, php, and the mvc model.

Each one is different.

To top one downloads in “installer” which then downloads and installs the latest version for you.

The middle one is the latest version of the files. There is no “installer”, so in this sense it is more of a manual process (but not completely manual, as there is an install-wizard that helps you set some of the configuration).

The bottom one is just sample data, so you can see what a store looks like with categories, products, etc.

I HIGHLY recommend reading all of the documentation on this site, starting with the user guide.

Magento is a complex (and well written!) piece of software and you really need to learn how to use it by reading the docs. Just going in and trying to figure it out as you go probably won’t work for most people.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

The top one? Or the bottom, then the top? Im confused.

If you can’t even figure out what to download, it will be very hard for you to customize any templates. This application is especially difficult to customize because the elements are all spread out in different files and you can’t just change one thing and know you’ve gotten it all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BungleFeet

Total Posts:  26

You’ll be able to change the “look” of each element on the page if you learn CSS.  Changing the structure or layout of each page will require knowledge of HTML, the basics of XML, and perhaps a basic understanding of how PHP works.  You’d only need to get deep into the PHP if you need to make significant changes to the functionality of Magento.

Cheers,

Bungle

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community