Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
1.5.0.1: upgrading from 1.3.1

CT Schubert

Total Posts:  197
Southern California

Ok, well try to start over, except this time, use the following for step #7

wget http://www.magentocommerce.com/downloads/assets/1.4.2.0/magento-1.4.2.0.tar.gz
tar -zxvf magento-1.4.2.0.tar.gz
mv magento
/* magento/.htaccess .
chmod o+w var var/.htaccess app/etc
chmod -R o+w media
chmod 500 pear
./pear mage-setup .
rm -rf magento/ magento-1.4.2.0.tar.gz

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mpikounis

Total Posts:  67
Athens, Greece

CT Schubert - 22 February 2011 05:14 PM

Once you are satisfied w/ the staging install, you will want to do the following.

Make sure you do this at a time that you are sure no one will be shopping on your store, perhaps really late at night or really early in the morning. Or put up a temporary index page. Either way, should be down for just a few minutes.

1. Create a new folder in the root called “backup” and copy your entire live store into that folder
2. Delete all of the files for the live store wherever they currently reside (again, MAKE SURE you have them copied to a backup folder just in case)
3. Move all of the files from the staging area to the folder the live site was in (so if the live site was in /public_html/ then move them there)
4. Login to phpmyadmin or whatever interface you use to access your databases and edit the core_config_data table and point the unsecure and secure urls to the new path (so if they were currently set to www.domain.com/staging/, rename them to www.domain.com/)
5. That should be it. Unless you have absolute paths being used anywhere in your template or your CSS, you shouldn’t have any template issues
6. Login to your admin and refresh all of the cache and re-index everything. Generate your sitemap, etc. Go through all the settings and make sure everything is fine.

Some side notes. If you were using a shipping extension that required a CSV file, make sure to re-upload that just in case. Run some verifications once the site is live. Signup as a new user, try to do a full checkout w/ payment going through (I had to re-input API/Transaction keys for one clients merchant account). Check to make sure existing customer accounts are working w/ passwords ,etc.

Thank you again for your quick reply. I see a problem here. Say I take a snapshot of my live DB at time 0 and create the staging area with it. Then at time 1 I am ready to move the staging area to live following the procedure you describe. However, between time 0 and 1 the live DB has changed. So I guess we are missing a step where we drop the staging area DB and import a new copy of the live DB (time 1) - correct?

Now, my question is, when I have a full-working staging area running the new version of magento, if I drop the DB and import again the old version of my DB (at time 1), how do I tell magento that it needs to “migrate” the old DB to the new again (as it did during install in the staging area)?

Thanks,
Michael

Magento Community
Magento Community

CT Schubert

Southern California

Michael,

I suppose you can do a test run of the upgrade to 1.5.0.1 and see if any major conflicts come up. If they do not and the transition is relatively smooth, then this shouldn’t be an issue. You would just need to give yourself 2-3hrs during off-peak business hours to do this (say between 1am and 3am in the morning), or if you expect traffic at all hours, you’ll just have to place a temporary index page up saying the site is down for maintenance and then work at getting the upgrade going. I was able to export a 2gig database, migrate it to a completely different server, upgrade magento from 1.3.2.4 to 1.5.0.1, modify the template, install a dozen modules, modify custom code and functionality and do a full test of customer registration, product checkout and payment within about 3hrs. I did a test run the evening before to see if this was feasible to do in a matter of hours to avoid any database changes (I am assuming you are to mean what would happen if someone placed an order while you were in the middle of upgrading and your new store is now missing that last order that was placed)

Do a test run with it. Copy the DB over, install 1.5.0.1, copy your theme over, fix all of the broken issues that come up w/ the theme and anything else. Then take those files that you just fixed and copy them somewhere safe. Now, when it’s time to do the actual upgrade and make the live site 1.5.0.1, you can go through the motions of doing the DB migration, 1.5.0.1 install and won’t have to worry about things breaking since you’ll have those fixed files to copy over.

Hope that made sense, it’s almost 4am and I should be in bed! =)

Magento Community
Magento Community

guillaume7684

Total Posts:  241

Hi,

I decided to install the 1.5.0.1 but I have an error message when I execute this command in SSH: ./mage mage-setup .

www # ./mage mage-setup .
Running initial setup…
PHP Warning:  mime_magic: type regex BEGIN[[:space:]]*[{] applicat ion/x-awk invalid in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning:  mime_magic: type search/400 \\input text/x-tex inval id in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning:  mime_magic: type search/400 \\section text/x-tex inval id in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning:  mime_magic: type search/400 \\setlength text/x-tex inval id in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning:  mime_magic: type search/400 \\documentstyle text/x-tex inval id in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning:  mime_magic: type search/400 \\chapter text/x-tex inval id in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning:  mime_magic: type search/400 \\documentclass text/x-tex inval id in Unknown on line 0
<br />
<b>Parse error</b>:  syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or ‘}’ in <b>/home/xxxxx/www/downloader/mage.php </b> on line <b>34</b><br />

Does somebody can help me, because I don’t want to continue with an error message at the installation?
Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

guillaume7684

Total Posts:  241

Hi,

I modified the file www/mage

On line 4 of this file, I replaced:
#MAGE_PHP_BIN="php”

by:
MAGE_PHP_BIN="php5”

Below is the result of the command: ./mage mage-setup .

www # ./mage mage-setup .
Running initial setup…
www #

Do you think it is OK, and I can continue my installation?

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Espacio Profundo

Total Posts:  3

Genius!

Upgraded 1.4.1 to 1.5 without a glitch…

Thanks a lot!

Ricardo

Magento Community
Magento Community

t.mehdi

Total Posts:  14

Hi,

I upgarded my store 1.3 to 1.5 more or less as you described:
dump my production database
installing magento 1.5 on this dump in “test.mystore.com”

Backend works fine, magento connect works fine as well after I set up ftp deployment… and chmoded everybody to 777

But After I pasted the app/design/frontend/mytheme and skin/frontend/mytheme the site crashed (broken link ??!!*$**!)
I fixed the page.xml as you said, and only the home page displays but not correctly…

I think the probleme is that I didn’t install all the modules that are actually working in my production store.

So I installed the extentsions that are available in magento connecte (The French package works by the way by setting beta stability).
The other modules were developped by some guys..
My question is :
Can I just past the folders of my old modules from app/code/local and app/code/community and app/etc/modules in my new magento 1.5??

Magento Community
Magento Community

alain57

Total Posts:  18

i get this kind of error ... after setting the install script to you the database that contains the dump ...
i never go to the part where i set the username ...........
what should i do ???

PDOException Object
(

[message:protected] => SQLSTATE[42S01]Base table or view already exists1050 Table 'core_variable' already exists
    [string
:Exception:private] => 

[code:protected] => 42S01
    [file
:protected] => /media/truecrypt1/www/new/lib/Varien/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php
    [line
:protected] => 276
    [trace
:Exception:private] => Array
        (

[0] => Array
                (

[file] => /media/truecrypt1/www/new/lib/Varien/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php
                    [line] 
=> 276
                    [function] 
=> query
                    [class] 
=> PDO
                    [type] 
=> ->

[args] => Array
                        (

[0] => ALTER TABLE `core_email_variableRENAME TO `core_variable`
                        )

)

[1] => Array
                (

[file] => /media/truecrypt1/www/new/lib/Varien/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php
                    [line] 
=> 397
                    [function] 
=> raw_query
                    [class] 
=> Varien_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Mysql
                    [type] 
=> ->

[args] => Array
                        (

[0] => ALTER TABLE `core_email_variableRENAME TO `core_variable`
                        )

)

[2] => Array
                (

[file] => /media/truecrypt1/www/new/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php
                    [line] 
=> 636
                    [function] 
=> multi_query
                    [class] 
=> Varien_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Mysql
                    [type] 
=> ->

[args] => Array
                        (

[0] => 

ALTER TABLE `core_email_variableRENAME TO `core_variable`;

ALTER TABLE `core_email_variable_valueRENAME TO `core_variable_value`;

)

)

[3] => Array
                (

[file] => /media/truecrypt1/www/new/app/code/core/Mage/Core/sql/core_setup/mysql4-upgrade-0.8.18-0.8.19.php
                    [line] 
=> 34
                    [function] 
=> run
                    [class] 
=> Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup
                    [type] 
=> ->

[args] => Array
                        (

[0] => 

ALTER TABLE `core_email_variableRENAME TO `core_variable`;

ALTER TABLE `core_email_variable_valueRENAME TO `core_variable_value`;

)

)

[4] => Array
                (

[file] => /media/truecrypt1/www/new/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php
                    [line] 
=> 376
                    [args] 
=> Array
                        (

[0] => /media/truecrypt1/www/new/app/code/core/Mage/Core/sql/core_setup/mysql4-upgrade-0.8.18-0.8.19.php

)

[function] => include
                )

[5] => Array
                (

[line] 
=> 289
                    [function] 
=> _modifyResourceDb
                    [class] 
                    [type] 
=> ->

[args] => Array
                        (

[0] => upgrade
                            [1] 
=> 0.8.13
                            [2] 
=> 0.8.27

)

)

[6] => Array
                (

[line] 
=> 233
                    [function] 
=> _upgradeResourceDb
                    [class] 
                    [type] 
=> ->

[args] => Array
                        (

[0] => 0.8.13
                            [1] 
=> 0.8.27

)

)

[7] => Array
                (

[line] 
=> 161
                    [function] 
=> applyUpdates
                    [class] 
                    [type] 
=> ->

[args] => Array
                        (
                        )

)

[8] => Array
                (

[file] => /media/truecrypt1/www/new/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php
                    [line] 
=> 363
                    [function] 
=> applyAllUpdates
                    [class] 
                    [type] 
=> ::

[args] => Array
                        (
                        )

)

[9] => Array
                (

[file] => /media/truecrypt1/www/new/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php
                    [line] 
=> 295
                    [function] 
=> _initModules
                    [class] 
=> Mage_Core_Model_App
                    [type] 
=> ->

[args] => Array
                        (
                        )

)

[10] => Array
                (

[file] => /media/truecrypt1/www/new/app/Mage.php
                    [line] 
=> 596
                    [function] 
=> run
                    [class] 
=> Mage_Core_Model_App
                    [type] 
=> ->

[args] => Array
                        (

[0] => Array
                                (

[scope_code] => 

[scope_type] => store
                                    [options] 
=> Array
                                        (
                                        )

)

)

)

[11] => Array
                (

[file] => /media/truecrypt1/www/new/index.php
                    [line] 
=> 80
                    [function] 
=> run
                    [class] 
=> Mage
                    [type] 
=> ::

[args] => Array
                        (

[0] => 

[1] => store

)

)

)

[previous:Exception:private] => 

[errorInfo] => Array
        (

[0] => 42S01
            [1] 
=> 1050
            [2] 
=> Table 'core_variable' already exists

)

)

Magento Community
Magento Community

CT Schubert

Southern California

t.mehdi - 26 March 2011 07:00 AM

My question is :
Can I just past the folders of my old modules from app/code/local and app/code/community and app/etc/modules in my new magento 1.5??

I think you would want to re-install these modules either via SSH or through the web-based Connect Manager. At least that is what I did. The good news is, all of the modules existing configurations and data is already in the database from the upgrade. So once you install the module again, it will simply pick up and use the old information.

Magento Community
Magento Community

swifty_

Total Posts:  11

I have exactly the same problem as alain57 when trying to do the install on 1.5.0.1 with a 1.3.2.4 db. I would really appreciate some advice.

Error in file\\\"/var/www/html/bd4utmp/staging/app/code/core/Mage/Core/sql/core_setup/mysql4-upgrade-0.8.18-0.8.19.php\\\" SQLSTATE[42S01]Base table or view already exists1050 Table \\\'core_variable\\\' already exists

Trace
:
#0 /var/www/html/bd4utmp/staging/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(390): Mage::exception(\\\'Mage_Core\\\', \\\'Error in file: ...\\\')
#1 /var/www/html/bd4utmp/staging/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(289): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb(\\\'upgrade\\\', \\\'0.8.13\\\', \\\'0.8.28\\\')
#2 /var/www/html/bd4utmp/staging/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(233): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_upgradeResourceDb(\\\'0.8.13\\\', \\\'0.8.28\\\')
#3 /var/www/html/bd4utmp/staging/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(161): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 /var/www/html/bd4utmp/staging/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(399): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 /var/www/html/bd4utmp/staging/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(329): Mage_Core_Model_App->_initModules()
#6 /var/www/html/bd4utmp/staging/app/Mage.php(627): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#7 /var/www/html/bd4utmp/staging/index.php(80): Mage::run(\\\'\\\', \\\'store\\\')
#8 {main}

Regards,

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alexandre Almeida

Total Posts:  54

All,

I could create a copy of my 1.3 Magento store and I install 1.5 and it’s running ok. Now I’ll buy a new template and I’ll need some days to setup and customize everything like I need. Mean while, my old store still running and selling (thanks God smile ).

My question is, after I finish everything and before place my brand new 1.5 store live to my customers I’ll need to migrate again Products (because inventory changes), Customers and Sales (because it change).

If I do another dump and insert using mysql SSH I think I’ll have some issues on new features, also the database is different (one had 220 tables and the new around 340).

Does any one has an idea on which tables I should replace?

Regards,
Alexandre

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alexandre Almeida

All,

I could create a copy of my 1.3 Magento store and I install 1.5 and it\’s running ok. Now I\’ll buy a new template and I\’ll need some days to setup and customize everything like I need. Mean while, my old store still running and selling (thanks God smile ).

My question is, after I finish everything and before place my brand new 1.5 store live to my customers I\’ll need to migrate again Products (because inventory changes), Customers and Sales (because it change).

If I do another dump and insert using mysql SSH I think I\’ll have some issues on new features, also the database is different (one had 220 tables and the new around 340).

Regards,
Alexandre

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alexandre Almeida

All,

I could create a copy of my 1.3 Magento store and I install 1.5 and it\\\’s running ok. Now I\\\’ll buy a new template and I\\\’ll need some days to setup and customize everything like I need. Mean while, my old store still running and selling (thanks God smile ).

My question is, after I finish everything and before place my brand new 1.5 store live to my customers I\\\’ll need to migrate again Products (because inventory changes), Customers and Sales (because it change).

If I do another dump and insert using mysql SSH I think I\\\’ll have some issues on new features, also the database is different (one had 220 tables and the new around 340).

Regards,
Alexandre

Magento Community
Magento Community

aplatte

Total Posts:  30

Hi, Alexandre.

I guess the best procedure is to carefully write down all the steps you take during this phase, so you’re able to repeat them all when you’re ready to upgrade your production site.

There are things you can reuse from this phase, that will help you to migrate quickly, i.e. your theme’s changes for adapting them to 1.5, etc.

I don’t think CT Schubert’s method was intended for later copying some production tables over the migrated site. In fact, I don’t think Magento will be happy replacing any table related to catalog, customers, orders, etc, you will probably break it if you do.

Good luck,

Adrian

Magento Community
Magento Community

aplatte

Total Posts:  30

I’m following CT Schubert’s described method to migrate a Magento 1.3.2.3 site to 1.5.1.0.

One thing I’m noticing, and would like to know if it happens to anybody else or if there’s a patch for it, is that my installed modules don’t appear on Magento Connect Manager… OK, I guess it can have some kind of sense.

But when I install (or reinstall, I don’t know how to call it) the module using the Magento Connect Manager, it installs OK, but it keeps not showing on the Magento Connect Manager.

It doesn’t look like a problem right now, but it will be in the future when I want to upgrade an existing extension.

Cheers,

Adrian

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3